What is the processor doing soil capped with sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the processor doing soil capped with sand?

Starting with an empty tank, do you add the soil, then cap with sand or and fill with water? Or should you add water first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Soil, cap, then water.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
All you really need to is put soil in, cap, and then fill. However, many of choose to cap the sides as well.

How I have done it is make my edging on the cap first. Then I added my soil (dry). I smooth that all out, and add a small layer to start the cap. I then add a bit of water (about to the top of the cap) and wait for any air bubbles to come out. You may end up with your substrate loosing it's flatness as this settles. After about 10-30 min, I add the rest of my cap and make any slopes, etc.

Air still will likely come out after this but if you let the big pockets out first, it seems to be less messy. If you just fill the whole thing up, sometimes some soil comes up with the air bubbles.

That's how I have done it.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

May be a dumb follow up question, but at what stage do you plant? Pre or post cap?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
May be a dumb follow up question, but at what stage do you plant? Pre or post cap?
Either. I think post cap is easier. Oh, and use a plate in the tank when filling with water so you don't disturb the cap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The last two tanks. I put a small pC of Plexiglass the size of a CC in the back corner forming a triangle. I put my Dirt & Sand cap in but, left that corner empty. I added water to 1" above the sand and let it soak for a while(coffee break). Came back and used a syphon tube in that empty corner to get the water out. Then Planted in the Quasi-wet substrate. I found this to be very easy & extra clean method. Once finished I filled that corner with sand and removed the Plexi divider.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-27-2012 at 01:45 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
the last two tanks. I put a small pc of pleciglass the size of a cc in the back corner forming a triangle. I put my dirt & sand cap in but, left that corner empty. I added water to 1" above the sand and let it soak for a while(coffee break). Came back and used a syphon tube in that empty corner to get the water out. Then planted in the quasi-wet substrate. I found this to be very easy & extra clean method. Once finished i filled that corner with sand and removed the plexi divider.
genius!!!

--

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode