Black Diamond Sand does it need to be washed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Black Diamond Sand does it need to be washed?

Right now I have eco-complete, but I bought several bags of Black Diamond Sand, do I need to wash it or can I just put it in the tank, not really sure how I would wash it. And for 3 inches deep, which will be on top of my soil, says I need 225 lbs, I planned to put soil in compacted 2 inches deep.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Put about 2 gallons of sand in a bucket, rinse the hell out of it with a hose, dump the dirty water out and repeat until water is reasonably clean. Repeat until desired amount of sand is obtained.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
Put about 2 gallons of sand in a bucket, rinse the hell out of it with a hose, dump the dirty water out and repeat until water is reasonably clean. Repeat until desired amount of sand is obtained.

Thanks for the info. Should have given more detail. I am moving from my 90 to 125. Wondering if any benefit moving to sand compared to eco-complete, figure if it is, then now is the time to switch since I have the tank torn down.

Thanks

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ive done two tanks with black diamond. Did not wash it and didnt have any problems
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbolt View Post
Ive done two tanks with black diamond. Did not wash it and didnt have any problems

Thanks for the info, that good to know. I have 100 lbs already, I need to go pickup a few more bags, as it says I should have around 225 lbs, the tool that tells me how much to use.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
225 pounds are you sure? I usually go by the pound per gallon, I have around a 2-3 inch substrate and I am pretty sure I used right under 3 bags

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I needed to rinse mine thoroughly. It was very oily. It was black beauty blasting sand with the horse on the bag.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
id say 225 sounds about right, i used a 100lb on a 40b and 20L having the back have a decent slope just looks better to me. call around i got the 100lb'ers for 11/13 bucks. i used the 20/40 but would like to try the smaller size to compair but ive seen a much much more healthy root system than my florite,ec,playsand. washing seems to vary with each brand mine didnt need was already prewashed.

if you do have/want to wash it use a 5gal bucket fill 1/3 with sand rinse put in tank bout as simple as that having less in it keeps it from spilling out when the waters churning.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think black diamond is already prewashed where black beauty is not. I used black beauty and it had a lot of dush in it. True I grabbed my bags close to the bottom of the pallet so it may of been a factor.

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I just set up a 65 gallon tank with Black Diamond and didn't wash it first. That was 10 days ago - no problems related to the Black Diamond yet. My water is still hazy, but that is from the topsoil under the Black Diamond, and the way I am filtering the water.

Hoppy
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
This is filling up mine not rinsing....

I highly recommend rinsing.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
what brand was that though.. did it say prewashed? bd doesnt need to be bb does thats what all info showing so far
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Black Diamond. From Tractor Supply. NOt the first time I've done this with it either...

The problem people completely miss is that from location to location and batch to batch, there is no guarantee with blasting sand.... washing takes an hour at most, so it is silly not to.

there version of "washed" and mine are two different things, apparently. It also says "recycled" product on the bag, too.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Isn't a 5 inch deep substrate considered a bit much? What I usually see recommended is 1 inch of soil and a 1 inch cap. With a 3 inch cap would most plants manage to even reach the soil layer with their roots?

I suppose a deep sand bed might have some denitrification advantages, but there may be potentially anoxic disadvantages as well. I'm not sure myself, but a balanced substrate depth was something I was wondering about.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I pre-washed my black diamond sand and would recommend you do the same. I didn't use nearly as much sand as you are going to be using, but I just put the sand in a large bucket and rinse it with the hose a few times until the water was clear. Even after doing this and putting it in the tank, it was still a little "dusty" in the water so i had to do some water changes. But now it looks crystal clear. It doesn't hurt to pre-wash gravel (in most cases), just depends on how much work you are willing to do. Good luck!

Nikon Pimp # 038

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode