Lighter substrate than black diamond, darker than pool sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lighter substrate than black diamond, darker than pool sand?

For substrate I think I've settled on the miracle grow organic potting soil with black diamond, but I wanted a lighter substrate, would the black still be athestically pleasing with the type of look I am going after? I fear it would be too dark. I don't want to use pool filter sand eiter, for fear it is too white. What are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
You can try Congo Sand from ADA, Can be found here.

Its not pitch black.. has a nice gray tone to it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try taking a look at these, maybe?

http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/super_nat.html

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'm setting up a 30 gal with black background. The substrate is CaribSea Torpedo Beach--a nice golden color that doesn't turn the tank into a black cave...

sox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm, I think I like the look of the "Peace River". It's close to the Amazon kind but slightly darker...I like it! I'm going to try it out.

I've got a black background on mine now aswell. I am thinking of actually getting a darker brown instead though, as the straight black is nice but isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I use construction sand, very dusty and needs a lot of rinsing, may raise PH a bit.

Turns med. golden brown as it ages. Sells for $3 for 50#s at Home Depot. I get is from a job site for free. Looks much more natural than Black Diamond which I also use.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, so, for now, I went to buy a few more neon tetras (bought 4, so a total of 7 in tank), they didn't have any ghost shrimp, so instead I bought more plants, root tabs, and some pabble gravel in the meantime until I decide what I want for sure.

I bought miracle grow potting soil but I just realized the bag was supposed to say miracle gro organic potting mix...anyone know if the soil is still safe for the plants and fish? Not going to chance it for now, I'll probably just take it back. I'm not sure where to find the organic miracle grow, went to both walmart, home depot, lowes, and petsmart today for some regular shopping but didn't see anything organic other than organic garden soil (are they the same as potting mix?)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Gee, can you vague that up for me?
lol, sorry, but your basically asking for a substrate darker then white and lighter then black...

anyways, if you aren't focused on sand-sized grains, almost all of the pics of turface and oil dry seemed to be mid-dark colored. You might also be able to find akadama(sp?), small-size lava rock, crushed brick, or something similar. I've got a bag of gravel-sized pumice rock sitting around here someplace, its a pretty medium grey color. I haven't used it for anything yet, but might try it as a substrate for terrestrial plants in a viv/pal setup.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually settled for some natural stones for now while I was at petco, they were closest to the color and style I liked of the "Peace River". I just laid it on top of the white gravel instead of removing the previous gravel, because I'm lazy and I thought I had enough to effectively cover all the white and I was wrong. :p Oh well. Mistake made.

And LOL, yeah, suppose I was pretty vague there. I just didn't want anything too dark like blacks or dark browns or anything too light like light tans or whites. I just wasn't sure if I had alternatives other than the natural colored gravel, but I think it turned out OK in the end.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Mix pool sand and black diamond maybe? You can set whatever "shade" you're looking for that way.

Anyways, looks great with what you went with!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode