Gravel upgrade - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gravel upgrade

I currently have a 10g, and 2g cube with miracle topped with the infamous petco black gravel on both.

I'm also really looking into a purchase of a 40g or 55g (which ever I find a better deal first) and I would love to put some black sad over miracle on it. Will also be replacing other tanks gravel as well.

Any recommendations on some black sand (budget wise preferably) for all 3 tanks?

10g "community tank" First attempt at aquariums
2.5g Betta Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Diamond Blasting Grit. It's like 10 for 40lbs. At Tracto Supply.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
black diamond it works great and cheap and wont effect fish in any way ive had corys and even loaches that like to burry themselfs in it no ill effects

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i would stay away from blasting sand and slag because it is rough on bottom feeders reguardless of what previous posters have mentioned. there are numerous posts of people loosing the barbells on difrent kinds of catfish including corys due to blasting grit. that stuff is purposly designed to be abrasive.
on a difrent note for a planted tank 55's are a lot harder to scape because they dont have a big foot print, there just real tall. 40b's are ideal for planted tanks, gives you lots of room to scape how you want insted of trying to cram everything in a 12inch area
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
dont forget that when being used for sand blasting they are blasting it at a high rate of speed think of it this way take a thick sheet of steel paint it then hit it with thousands of golf balls going 100mph and whats going to happen the paint will chip off the same way with sand blasting and as far as all the other ppl out there saying that it affacted there fish dont you think there numerous other reasons for that happening not just the substrate come on be for real thats like ppl getting a flat tire and blaming it on the roads when its really they ran over a nail

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode