Mold/fungus in potting mix/cap substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mold/fungus in potting mix/cap substrate

So, I have the miracle grow and cap with the blasting sand from reading threads here, thought it was a good idea. But I have this white mold/fungus growing on the substrate. Any idea what this stuff is? And how to get rid of it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	41220

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	41221

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	41222
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one has any ideas what this stuff is at all? It's not effecting my fish or my plants at all, those all seem to be thriving. I've had this stuff for about a month and a half and doesn't seem to be getting any better, only worse.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
which miracle grow mix did you use? got a picture of the bag? I've used the one with pasteurized poultry litter that some people have warned against.

Here's a picture

Haven't seen anything like that while using mine. Have you tried to siphon it out with a piece of airline or small rigid tubing?

Garrett Brueland

The Fraternity of Dirt #52

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It looks like the same stuff, I got it from Ace Hardware, not sure if that helps haha. So, I've been leaving the lights off while I'm at work from 6am-230 and it seems like it's disappearing so hopefully if I continue that routine it will just go on its own.
I'm pretty happy, so far I have a dwarf lily that is growing like crazy! It doesn't seem so dwarf, the leaves are huge, but in 2 weeks I have two pads that are already at the surface.
I do have jungle val in the tank and the tips seems to be frayed, is that from too much light?? I only have oto's in the tank at the moment.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
How thick is your sand cap? From the photos, it appears as though the soil is at the surface. That would allow algae/fungus/et al to grow from the organic matter (poop) in the soil a bit more readily than it would with a thicker sand cap, I think.

You can spot treat with Excel or peroxide and that sometimes works. Though, Excel's not going to be good with Vals and is a bad idea with shrimp of any sort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, about the sand/soil...I used 2 1/2" of soil and 1 1/2" of sand, but....lesson learned here, I didn't put water on the soil before adding the cap, resulting in trapped air bubbles under the cap...which NOW has resulted in massive volcano explosions of soil/air coming through the sand cap.
This is my first attempt at doing a planted tank and besides taking everything apart and starting over, I'm not sure what else to do except for wait for the air to completely get out from under there and maybe recap it. I wouldn't even know how to seperate the sand from the soil if I did take it apart without having to completely starting with new soil/sand. I'm very open to ideas if anyone has any as well.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
cb7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm having the same issue with my Miracle-Gro with Tahitian Moon Sand cap. I redid the tank, since I hadn't soaked the soil first, hoping this would help. After soaking and only doing a very thin layer of soil, with a thicker cap, the mold/fungus came back after 2 days. It only grows right in the middle of the tank too, same spot as before redoing it. Unfortunately I'm not sure about what is causing the growth.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
How thick is your sand cap? From the photos, it appears as though the soil is at the surface. That would allow algae/fungus/et al to grow from the organic matter (poop) in the soil a bit more readily than it would with a thicker sand cap, I think.

You can spot treat with Excel or peroxide and that sometimes works. Though, Excel's not going to be good with Vals and is a bad idea with shrimp of any sort.

I used Excel in my shrimp tank with no problems at all. Even used more than the recommended amount without any ill effects.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Algae Grower

I just finish my 36g MGOPM/Sand cap and I too am having this weird white spider web growth.. did you find any solutions to this?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm having the same issues, interested to see if we can find a cause.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeskt View Post
Well, about the sand/soil...I used 2 1/2" of soil and 1 1/2" of sand, but....lesson learned here, I didn't put water on the soil before adding the cap, resulting in trapped air bubbles under the cap...which NOW has resulted in massive volcano explosions of soil/air coming through the sand cap.
This is my first attempt at doing a planted tank and besides taking everything apart and starting over, I'm not sure what else to do except for wait for the air to completely get out from under there and maybe recap it. I wouldn't even know how to seperate the sand from the soil if I did take it apart without having to completely starting with new soil/sand. I'm very open to ideas if anyone has any as well.
I did mine several weeks ago with the same mistakes and problems, except I have a 10 gallon so I used less substrate - an inch and an inch.

I am getting some of the same white stuff here and there, seems like where the MGOCPM got on top of the sand. It seems less prominent than, say, 2 weeks ago. I suppose that might depend on how much MGOCPM escaped onto the sand. I think the mold is processing the organic (chem.) substances that escaped. I anticipate that mine will go away. Hope everyone has good luck.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

started April 18, 2012
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Do any of you guys have Amano shrimp or Otos in the tanks with this fungus?

I often get a similar-looking fungus on new driftwood. My Amano and Otos usually go bonkers eating it, though.

I wouldn't worry about it, just let nature take its course and it most likely will eventually die off on its own.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode