Substrate for 125g long tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Substrate for 125g long tank

Right now I have 90g tank planted heavy, but not compacted, I can still see the bottom, I will be upgrading in a few weeks to a 125g tank.

I have eco-complete in the 90g, and was going to just move it to the 125g. I want to keep the tank simple, in regards to the substrate, plus I have to dose anyway as I am running high light and CO2.

I have 180 lbs in the 90g, which is to much, but I think that would be enough for the 125g, if it not should I just buy a few more bags, or can I add something to it as a filler?

Trying to avoid spending a lot money.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
You could put a bag of miraclegro organic potting soil down as a base. This is what I plan to do with my 220 I am getting, I will then top it with my ada amazonia. Will also add a few root caps to the bottom as well at that time.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
PFS and dirt. about 30 bucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
You could put a bag of miraclegro organic potting soil down as a base. This is what I plan to do with my 220 I am getting, I will then top it with my ada amazonia. Will also add a few root caps to the bottom as well at that time.

Craig

I assume the eco-complete would go over top of it? Then when I plant do I just put roots into the eco complete or do I need to make sure they are into the potting soil as well? I assume when I clean the tank, I try to avoid the potting soil as well?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Here is a substrate calculator.
https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info. It says at 3 inches I would need 216 lbs of Eco-Complete, which means I would need to order some online. It not bad if I can catch it on sale. I guess I would need 2 more bags. So is it best to just stay all Eco-Complete or do I put base down of potting soil? Any advantage of doing this? Do I just dump the bag in and have a thin layer on the bottom? How does it not make a mess?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi,

The way I have done this is to pick out the big chunks out of the soil things like pieces of wood and break up any bigger chunks of soil . Then just lay down 1 or 2 inches then cap with an inch or 2 of what ever you like to cap with.

In your case i think you would do an inch of dirt and 2 inches cap or 1.5 of each just because of the bigger grain size of the ecco (as compared to sand anyways) to keep the mess to a non-existent minimum.

When planting just do as normal the roots will find the dirt.

Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil (see my 10 gallon journal for a picture of the bag) is what most people on this board use, some mineralize it but I have no patience for such things and there is enough people using it straight out of the bag to vouch for its effectiveness. You will get some tannis the first month or so because of the many organic components of the soil but this never bothered me or any thing in the tank.

I don't add anything to the soil (root tabs etc) because that is my reason for putting the soil down but I'm new so I haven't tried everything and the results I have are better than what I have seen with not using dirt so no reason to change but further reading WILL be done

Good luck.

10 gallon journal - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158315
75 gallon journal - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151037

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode