newbie getting dirty (maybe) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
newbie getting dirty (maybe)

so let me start by saying I am new to aquatics all together. I am starting a 15g fresh water planted tank. I have experience growing plants just not under water. I think I am going to make this a dirt tank. that just makes sence to me with what I have envisioned for this tank. I have done research and I'm almost ready to commit. Just have a few questions for the dirt guys. hopefully the fraternity can help out.

Compaired to others options, how much maintenance goes along with a dirt tank. As far as nutrition and cleaning go?

How long do the natural nutrients stay in the dirt?

Do you ever have to add more dirt/cap?

I am finding most guys plant all there plants right when they add the dirt. Is it hard to add plants later on or just a PIA?

Last but not least. What about soil straight out of a river? This is already mineralized right? so if I dry and sift and then add some dolomite and maybe some clay would that be the same thing?

Thanks ahead of time. If you even read this far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well, here is my opinionated response yo your questions.

Compaired to others options, how much maintenance goes along with a dirt tank. As far as nutrition and cleaning go?

Less as far as nutrients go. You will not need to use root tabs to feed your plants, for a long long time. Water column dosing may still be required based on the type of plants you have (think mosses), but even that is less required if you ask me. I have done very little dosing in my main dirt tank...I think maybe a few ounces of Leaf Zone until I ran out a couple months ago.

Cleaning is really no different. Plants will need trimming occasionally, glass will need cleaning...etc, same as any other tank. Vacuuming is totally optional is you ask me, I never do.

I think most dirt folks, and the majority of non-dirt folks will agree, dirt tanks require more effort in the setup, but are lower maintenance in the long run.

How long do the natural nutrients stay in the dirt?

You will get some varied responses here, most likely due to circumstance. For instance a tank full of root style plants (think swords) will eat up nutrients faster than say a bunch of stem plants (think bacopa). The consensus I have seen is anywhere from a year to three years and then some. At that point I think most might be ready for a tank overhaul, but if not you can start doing root tabs at that point...whenever that point arrives. The coolest thing for me about dirt tanks has been the initial growth. Under low light I have plants that have quadrupled in size in under two months. It's astounding, and it's a nice way to get a tank to "fill in" quickly.

Do you ever have to add more dirt/cap?

Adding dirt after the initial setup would be darn near impossible. That said I have seen the idea of making dirt ice cubes and stuffing them under the cap...though I haven't seen the end result of this method, lol.

Cap, you might have to add. I have about half a bag of Black Diamond left from my setup, and once in a while after I rearrange (*see note) something I will add a cup or two back on the surface to smooth things out.

*Note: Rearranging is the only true downfall of the dirt tank in my opinion. It can get messy if you are in a hurry, clumsy, or depending on what kind of cap you use. I have moved a large root heavy plant, it took me a few minutes to work it out of the soil, and even then there was a little plume of dirt. It quickly cleared up, but you do want to avoid excessive replanting with a dirt tank.

I am finding most guys plant all there plants right when they add the dirt. Is it hard to add plants later on or just a PIA?

No, I continue to add plants to this day. The reason you see most adding a bunch of plants is; one, they just set up the tank and have a lot of plants, lol; two, many believe (myself included) that heavily planting a tank right from day one prevents potentially harmful spikes of bad stuff and gets the nitrogen cycle going quickly. Meaning, your tank is safe for fish faster with lots and lots of plants.

What about soil straight out of a river? This is already mineralized right? so if I dry and sift and then add some dolomite and maybe some clay would that be the same thing?

Again, highly debated topic. My thoughts are why go rooting around in a nasty river and bring God knows what back to your new tank, when there are brand spanking new, clean, dry bags of Miracle Grow Organic at the store.

That isn't to say it couldn't be done. My other thoughts are, if the soil is in the river...are there plants in it? If no, why not? If yes, have those plants already sucked most the good stuff out of the soil?

These are questions I cannot answer. Again, I'm sure it would work...there is a fellow on the forum who made some MTS using dog poo and coffee grounds.

I have more thoughts, but I figure this will get the party started, lol.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
^^ +1 What he said. Nice response!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW! thank daximus. That helps out a lot. I was hoping to hear a lot of that stuff.

The stream soil was just a idea. I will not be doing it.YET. I may have a pretty sweet, girl friend nano tank idea. but I'm not getting a head of my self.

I noticed a lot of guys use black diamond as a cap. would you use it again or would you pick some thing else?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
I am setting up a 40B at work and used black diamond to cap MGOCPM and it looks great! I used PFS to cap MTS in my 90G and if I could do it over I would use the black diamond. If you go that route, get the 20/40 grit size.
While we're on the subject of MTS, realize it is different than straight organic soil like MGOCPM. Mts has the organics broken down already, whereas organic soil (as the name implies) does not. They break down while in the tank, which has it's benefits.

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdiet4 View Post
WOW! thank daximus. That helps out a lot. I was hoping to hear a lot of that stuff.

The stream soil was just a idea. I will not be doing it.YET. I may have a pretty sweet, girl friend nano tank idea. but I'm not getting a head of my self.

I noticed a lot of guys use black diamond as a cap. would you use it again or would you pick some thing else?
I like the look of it, basically black sand...or really small black gravel. I think visually it sets off the fish and plants really nicely.

Plants love it, they root in it really well. And all my fish seem to enjoy it, corys, shrimp, and otos alike.

At ~$8.00 for 50 lbs, it's the best thing going if you looking for dark, cheap substrate. Absolutely I'd use it again and recommend it to all. Again, opinions may vary, but that is mine.

Here is a little visual. I did sprinkle a little bit of small gravel on this side of the tank, FYI, just to add some contrast and texture. The other side was all black diamond, unfortunately, lol, my dwarf sag went crazy (in the dirt ) and carpeted that end of the tank. If you look closely you can see the roots and runners of my dwarf sag as they work into the black diamond.

Name:  20120126225252.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  61.0 KB
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Oh...and check out this thread in regards to more dirt info. This is the setup that got me going on dirt. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-soil-sub.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode