Adding aqua soil to an existing layout (with livestock) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Adding aqua soil to an existing layout (with livestock)

I have been tinkering with a tank of mine and would really love to add a bit of additional substrate to the scape here and there. I know Aquasoil releases a fair amount of ammonia. I would be adding two-three cups to mature (three year old) 30 gallon tank that is way over filtered right now ehiem pro 2 and a fluval 306 (getting seasoned for another tank, 2wks on right now). Anyways how big of a risk do you think it would be for the fish health? I have about 15 or so rasbora espei's in the tank right now, a fair amount of rcs, amano's and oto's. It is heavily planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I heard the new version of ADA doesn't actually leech ammonia. If that's the case there should be no problem. If you're using the older version that does leech ammonia I'd be very careful. Do you have another tank you can put the ADA in for a bit so the larger concentrations can get removed?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
It will leech ammonium but it will only stay ammonium as long as the ph is below 7.. I've added Amazonia to a couple running tanks of mine, 1 with fish and 1 with CRS. as long as you're adding to the substrate and not removing any, and you have a fully seeded filter, you shouldn't have a problem with ammonia. If you wanna be safe, only add a couple cups full at a time and do it over a month or so. But I've personally added 9L of Amazonia into my 20gal and had no ammonia/nitrite spikes. It just depends, the tank and filter were already 6mo old when I added it.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, my filter system is very mature and should be up to the task. I am diligent/ obsessive about wc's so I should be fine. Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode