What is the best substrate for cryptocorynes??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
What is the best substrate for cryptocorynes???

I am getting really into crypts these days, and I wanted to ask all of you planted tankers what your thoughts were on the best substrate to grow crypts in. Any info at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
They pretty much grow in anything provided the nutrients... dirt will obviously be the best since they are heavy root feeders.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You can grow them fine in plain top soil from a garden center for $1.79 a bag.

If you decide to improve that dirt I feel it's important to not get too carried away. I think Red Clay is a helpful additive. I like the idea of dolomite and Crushed Oster Shells/Crushed Coral as they desolve at different rates.

I know the "chicken littles" will scream the sky is falling But, I feel some organic matter is helpful too. That could be worm casings or composted manure, oak leaves. The key here is to not go overboard in % to total.

After that one should consider the Crypt specie when fine tuning the dirt, some like acidic soil other more alkaline. The close you can get to the plants natural habitat the more successful you will be.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-18-2012 at 02:10 PM.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
MTS capped with Eco or flourite or floramax. Something along those lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, I have a good idea bout the substrate- what do I need to do about lighting? My current light is an 18" 15w T8.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think that light should be sufficient. Granted, all I have are Wendtii and Spiralis, but it seems that the lower the light, the better.

Never show anyone your true potential. If you do, they will always expect it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have never tried a dirt tank of any sort- what would be some good choices and methods for that? Should I only fill the tank with 1/2 water, or try true emersed? Sorry I have so many questions.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also, is there one substrate available that would be a good choice for a wide variety of crypts? I am really interested and want all of the info that I can get. Thanks again.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
You can grow them fine in plain top soil from a garden center for $1.79 a bag.

If you decide to improve that dirt I feel it's important to not get too carried away. I think Red Clay is a helpful additive. I like the idea of dolomite and Crushed Oster Shells/Crushed Coral as they desolve at different rates.

I know the "chicken littles" will scream the sky is falling But, I feel some organic matter is helpful too. That could be worm casings or composted manure, oak leaves. The key here is to not go overboard in % to total.

After that one should consider the Crypt specie when fine tuning the dirt, some like acidic soil other more alkaline. The close you can get to the plants natural habitat the more successful you will be.
Oh yea... aren't you the guy who put dog poo in his fish tank!?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
My crypt lucens and wendtii are growing like weeds in both my dirted 10g and 20g. They love dirt. MGOPM is what I use. I can't say much about other crypts, though. If any of them require acidic soil you could just put some peat in the mix.

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Yes, that would be me.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
That would be my Tonic Ten tank, see my sig line link. I've also used worm casings(worm poop) and composted Buffalo poop. If you are interested in poop, you might look at this thread too: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...t-testers.html

Last edited by DogFish; 01-24-2012 at 03:50 AM.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
Depends on which ones you want to grow. Some require different conditions.

Some prefer higher ph, others lower.

Sandy soil with low nutrients with steady water flow and others that prefer acidic swamp (leaf litter tanks)

Peat is your friend for most crypts, and I find that plant growerbed/aquasoil/florabase/plant stratum all benefit my crypts.

:^)
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm glad somebody posted something about crypts. Bought three of them a couple months ago to stick in my son's 20L. Have read that they were rather low tech and easy to keep, so decided to grab a few from the LFS.

Stuck them in regular inert gravel, gave each their own Flourish tab - no CO2 other than what the fish provide and the light is stock 8000K - great results with strong leaves, excellent growth and a few baby leaves poking their way through since then.

I love my other low maintenance moss, fern and swords...but sometimes they can be a hassle - black algae, sporadic growth, ect. But, if these crypts become almost maintenance free except from a tiny bit of pruning in the 20L, I just might consider going all crypt and calling it a day!

The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type species tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better my tanks look.

- DogFish 1.24.12
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Moss View Post
... But, if these crypts become almost maintenance free except from a tiny bit of pruning in the 20L, I just might consider going all crypt and calling it a day!
The longer I'm involved in this hobby the more & more I'm convinced that Bio-Type an specie tanks are the way to go. Plants and fish/inverts live together in nature for a reason. I find the less I try to fight nature the better I my tanks look.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode