Dirt and Mount - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Dirt and Mount

I love dirt substrate. Great substrate for growth and nutrition need. Now, I can see a little problem with doing mount/hills/slope. Yes, I am talking about dirt and capped with sand/gravel. Logcially or naturally, it will be flat. Now, with the 2 layers, I can see some problems there.

Has anyone tried this?

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've seen folks make hills using gravel in net bags, just for the height. Then covering that with the dirt and cap...still gonna struggle a bit preventing hill "erosion" I suspect...but at least that takes care of the anaerobic aspect of super deep dirt.

I think If I was looking to do that I would try to find some sort of building block that I could gradually step up in small intervals...like a Lego mountain covered in dirt. Not sure if that's a great idea, but you get my point.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I've seen folks make hills using gravel in net bags, just for the height. Then covering that with the dirt and cap...still gonna struggle a bit preventing hill "erosion" I suspect...but at least that takes care of the anaerobic aspect of super deep dirt.

I think If I was looking to do that I would try to find some sort of building block that I could gradually step up in small intervals...like a Lego mountain covered in dirt. Not sure if that's a great idea, but you get my point.
Daximus....
My concern is not the anaerobic. Yes, bigger gravel under, anyways, that's not the problem. You got my point about "erosion", I had a little slope with PFS, and PFS would go flat pretty soon. I just imagine when that occurs, then it'll reach soil. We'll be in big crap

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you check out some of the videos Tropica has on youtube about setting up planted tanks, they use plastic card in the substrate to help it hold it's shape.
I'm going to try this when I set up my tank in the next week or so. The only issue for me is finding some thick flexible plastic to set up the dams in the substrate.

I have set up tanks in the past (soil w/sand cap) which had small hills, as long as you don't go crazy with the gravel vac, the mounds don't collapse much. I think those tanks only had an average depth of two inches or so and were set up for a year and a half to two years.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode