Substrate Mixture Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Substrate Mixture Question

I have been researching planted tanks for a few weeks and am still trying to decide which route I want to take for my substrate. I know everyone has their own thoughts and what works for one person doesn't always work for the next, so I'm trying to educate myself on lots of choices and make my best guess. I am planning to set up my reef ready 150 with Co2 through my Octopus controller and hope to use my power compacts that I already have, but haven't actually spent much time in the lighting area until I get the substrate adventure figured out. That's as far as I've gotten as I generally research one area to the end of the earth before I get too far to the next. Anyway....a friend send me this link and and I found it interesting. I was wondering what some others might think of this combination of media, or maybe some already use it.

Thanks for your advice.

The following is from this article: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....html#substrate

For healthy plants I suggest a substrate of #1 sand mixed with Azoo Plant Grower Bed, Flourite, Onyx Sand, ADA Aquatic Substrates, or maybe Eco Complete about 3-5 cm deep with a layer of #3 gravel on top about 2 cm deep or simply mix with #0 sized sand. This combination works well for plant roots, ease of vacuuming the top layer ONLY (where plant roots are), and for better bio filtration. The total depth of sand, plant substrate or any combination there of should be about 3-5 inches for most rooted aquarium plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
For a 150, that's a heck of a lot of substrate. Unless you have a couple hundred bucks to spend on it, I'd suggest one of the cheaper alternatives. Shoot for 3" total. You can use pool filter sand or Turface, both of which are very cheap.

Or, you can use dirt, Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix, or mineralized topsoil for the bottom layer and cap it with whatever you want.

I don't like layering - it tends to make a mess of my tanks whenever I pull out really rooty plants. Turface is sold at John Deere Agricultural stores, and is basically the same thing as Flourite - baked clay. High nutrient absorption rate (CEC), so just plug in some root tabs and you're good to go.

And, remember, whatever you pick, rinse the heck out of it first.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
For a 150, that's a heck of a lot of substrate. Unless you have a couple hundred bucks to spend on it, I'd suggest one of the cheaper alternatives. Shoot for 3" total. You can use pool filter sand or Turface, both of which are very cheap.

Or, you can use dirt, Miracle Gro Organic Potting Mix, or mineralized topsoil for the bottom layer and cap it with whatever you want.

I don't like layering - it tends to make a mess of my tanks whenever I pull out really rooty plants. Turface is sold at John Deere Agricultural stores, and is basically the same thing as Flourite - baked clay. High nutrient absorption rate (CEC), so just plug in some root tabs and you're good to go.

And, remember, whatever you pick, rinse the heck out of it first.
You are right on the money!!!!!

I use Turface MPV topped by a couple on inches of small, 1/8 x 1/16 red flint gravel.

Red flint you'll find here: http://www.redflint.com/filter_gravel.htm

I have one tank with this substrate close to 4 years and I'm still happy with this combination.

One can go with either of those alone and still be happy with a plant growth with the right fertilisation regime...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode