ADA's Penac-P & W, Bacter 100, Clear Super, Tourmaline BC? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA's Penac-P & W, Bacter 100, Clear Super, Tourmaline BC?

From what I gather of opinion elsewhere, the verdict on these products is decidedly mixed.

However, after watching quite a number of great tank videos, wherein said additives were employed, I'm somewhat interested.

As they're rather expensive, though, I was curious as to what people here thought of them.

Can anyone with experience tell me if there's a noticeable improvement in plant growth/health with their use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Isn't it possible that those great tank videos are a result of the brand of clothing that the owner of the tank wears? Or, perhaps it is more due to the color of the walls in the room, or the fine carpet on the floor, or eating a good vegetarian diet, or exercising regularly, etc. That's all ridiculous, but just because someone has a great looking aquascape doesn't mean that every detail surrounding that tank is essential to duplicating that success. Otherwise, when George Foreman recommends a method for cooking hot dogs, we should all use that method so we can be as "charming" as he is, or as wealthy, etc. (I know that doesn't work - I tried it, and I'm neither charming nor wealthy.)

Hoppy
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
just because someone has a great looking aquascape doesn't mean that every detail surrounding that tank is essential to duplicating that success.
Obviously, but as I'm quite ignorant to these particular products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano View Post
Can anyone with experience tell me if there's a noticeable improvement in plant growth/health with their use?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:04 PM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's like Carl's junior turkey burger with miss turkey ads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I want a turkey burger now.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, contrived sarcasm aside, I guess no one has experience using this stuff.

Disappointing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Frank watzer from ADG posted up a really detailed explanation about the ADA additive system, which includes all the ones you mentiones, in his journal. Look for it in his profile; you should see it in the sponser's section.

From what i gleaned in his journal though, he likens it to supplements; do you need it? Probably not. Is it nice, or perhaps helpful to have, just like supplements,vitamins and whatnot. Certainly - if you have the money for it. It won't be detrimental to your tank at the very least.

Now whether it actually helps plant growth or does anything it claims to, I certainly haven't seen any statistical or experimental data to back it up.

I've only recently bought and used tourmaline f (which is basically tourmaline bc, except you put it in the filter instead) with their bio rio, so who knows. I'll have to continue to observe for any differences, if any.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. I'll search for that journal.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
I was on my phone before. Here's the thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...al-how-do.html

Go to post #70.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:

Disappointing.

That's not really the case. This topic has been debated for a while on this forum. You should do advance search on "substrate".

**** Green ****

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
That's not really the case. This topic has been debated for a while on this forum. You should do advance search on "substrate".
Contrived sarcasm is usually a go to response for those who have no actual experience with a product or reference for solid info.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

Disappointing.

I have used Penac W and P but I'm not really sure whats going on in my substrate. I do know that I have very good growth in my plants but I can't give those two products kudos in the growth.
I might have just paid for fluff....
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:

Disappointing.
Yes I have, but it's similar to the sarcasm that's been posted after NOT using it with the ADA AS alone.

Unless you have done both cases, you cannot say even if you have added it because those that have, also have added ADA aqua soil alogn with it in virtually every case.

So they cannot say individually what each product actually does.......only that when they use the entire system, not which each part does individually independent of the other.

I suggest you try one with and without but use the ADA AS.
That's where the lion's share of the benefits from the "sediment system" comes from, not the added marketed extras.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Here's a really interesting thread regarding different substrates - a side-by-side-by-side comparison over time. Something to keep in mind when deciding whether to seriously dig into the wallet:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ommercial.html
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Yes I have, but it's similar to the sarcasm that's been posted after NOT using it with the ADA AS alone.

Unless you have done both cases, you cannot say even if you have added it because those that have, also have added ADA aqua soil alogn with it in virtually every case.

So they cannot say individually what each product actually does.......only that when they use the entire system, not which each part does individually independent of the other.

I suggest you try one with and without but use the ADA AS.
That's where the lion's share of the benefits from the "sediment system" comes from, not the added marketed extras.
I intend to use AS Amazonia, regardless.

For the rest - yes, I was mainly curious about the supposed benefits of all five products used in concert, rather than in varying combinations (obviously it's unrealistic to expect to find opinions of using products 'ABC' vs 'ACD' vs 'BCE', and so forth).

I'm only interested in keeping one more tank at this time, so, aside from not exactly being cost-effective, I'm not likely to conduct any such comparative experiments on my own.

Hence this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Here's a really interesting thread regarding different substrates - a side-by-side-by-side comparison over time. Something to keep in mind when deciding whether to seriously dig into the wallet:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ommercial.html
Thanks. Looks like a worthwhile read.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode