Mix Black Diamond and Black Flourite sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mix Black Diamond and Black Flourite sand?

Has any one mixed Black Diamond blasting sand and Black Flourite sand? How did it look? I was hoping to get some of the benefits of the flourite and lower the cost by adding the blasting sand. Maybe a 1 to 1 ratio. If anyone has a pcture that would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I know it's not what you originally asked, but have you considered Organic Miracle Gro Potting Soil (or some other MTS) and capping it with Black Diamond?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have thought about using minerlized soil, mixed with red clay and other amendments, and then black diamond on the sides and top, but I was worried that everytime I moved a plant the dirt would kick up and settle on top. And I wasn't sure about how the trumpet snails would behave. They like to borrow during the day so I'm thinking they would mix the soil and sand within a few months. Have been reading alot about MTS lately and am still unsure. Are you using that setup now?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm not using it at the moment, but I plan on using it when I set up my tank (first tank ever). Daximus (another user here) uses it and he hasn't had any problems. Yes, you can't just rip out plants from the substrate otherwise you'll make a mess, but that's true for pretty much anything. With MTS, you do have to go a bit slower than normal, but nothing overly tedious.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
If you want pure black substrate, I would not do MTS. However, mixing the two substrates you want should look great. I have not mixed those two but I have mixed regular black sand with black Flourite sand with great results.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profector View Post
I have thought about using minerlized soil, mixed with red clay and other amendments, and then black diamond on the sides and top, but I was worried that everytime I moved a plant the dirt would kick up and settle on top. And I wasn't sure about how the trumpet snails would behave. They like to borrow during the day so I'm thinking they would mix the soil and sand within a few months. Have been reading alot about MTS lately and am still unsure. Are you using that setup now?

I have a 75 gallon tank setup with mineralized top soil with black diamond on top. A few days ago I moved a bunch of crypts that had large root systems and as long as I pulled them up slowly I didnt get any dirt that pulled up. I was amazed, when I did the same with miracle grow it pulled up a ton of dirt and wood. Made me really happy I decided to redo my tank with MTS when I did.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode