ADA with fluorite cap ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
ADA with fluorite cap ...

I have fluorite right now in my little office nano tank, but I was thinking that I could take a little ADA when I finally set up my 25 tall to use under the fluorite to help aid in plant growth.

It *seems* like it should work fine ... I'd get the benefits of ADA for plant growth, and the benefits of ease of planting with the weight of the fluorite was my thought.

Am I missing anything that I should be aware of? Or would that work out fine?

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I think it's a good idea, just keep in mind that ADA Aquasoil leaches ammonia for a few weeks so either cycle it in a bucket/another tank before adding it to your office tank, or just do extra water changes after you add it and test your water to make sure you don't kill any of your critters.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/article...l-amazonia.php
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
That will work fine but eventually the flourite will end up on the bottom, assuming that you are using flourite sand. Also as poster above stated, be careful with the ammonia spike.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hey Alyssa, IMO it's pointless to cap aqua soil - unless you know that you or your inhabitants will constantly disturb the substrate. In which case, you better have a very thick cap over aqua soil, or not have any, at all.

I have two low-light cubes that have the new amazonia, but no CO2 or fert dosing. Both grows plants well, just not as fast/weedy as they would in a high light tank.

Those plants I sent you - they like aqua soil

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's not fluorite sand, but rather the more chunky stuff. So thinking that it will sit on top for the most part.

It's just a small little tank, shrimp only (they will need to be rehomed in another space until the ADA stops leeching of course, but I think in the end, it would be worth the trouble.

But I think it's also light, which means I will DESPISE planting in it (remember, I come from old school ways where I've been planting plants in pea gravel for some 30 years ... going from decades of planting in gravel to substrates like Stratum and ADA is rough going. I think if you only really have planted in those substrates that it might be easier to get the right touch, but I have decades of conditioning to reprogram of planting in much much heavier substrates [ie small rocks! lol!] and I just hate planting in that stuff right now!) and I was hoping to get my beloved heft of using small gravel/rocks back into my planting zone while not sacrificing the awesomeness that ADA is supposedly going to bring me.

Did that make sense?

And yes! Those beautiful plants are destined for the 25 tall which will have the ADA power sand and amazona soil ... but it will be deep enough I hope to make planting stems a bit easier without needing something heavier to help hold it down until it roots properly. So hopefully they will grow nicely for me! The survivors from the last batch are doing "okay" in my dirt tank, but I think that tank really needs some co2 to finally settle in.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The flourite gravel does have some nice weight to it so it should help the ADA stay down! And planting in it is pretty easy except for the occasional silt storms that get kicked up!

This is for the yellow shrimp tank you were talking about?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I totally get where you're coming from Alyssa! I grew up with sand and undergravel filters, powered by air pumps! Not even dedicated lighting, just ambient room lighting! It was only in 2006 when my buddy introduced me to high-light planted tanks. There is indeed some adjustment when planting with lighter aqua soil, but with nice long tweezers, you're bound to get the hang of it.

The one thing I don't like about aqua soil is I (personally) just can't predict when my tank will be fully cycled. My big tank took two weeks to cycle even after a couple weeks of dry-start and seeding with an HOB filter from an established tank right as soon as I flooded it. My 12" cube took a whole month, also using an (oversized) HOB filter from an established tank. My 18" cube never registered any ammonia or nitrites whatsoever. I carried over the XP2 and HOB filter from the previous tank, but I'm clueless as how this one practically instant-cycled while the others didn't.

Time to update yer blog Alyssa! Yes, I have visited a couple of times now .

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ACK! You mean someone is actually looking at that thing? LOL! Yeah I have a bunch of posts I need to finish and publish!

The yellows are on fluval stratum only ... it was the smallest bits of the leftovers from my first bag, barely covered the bottom of the tank ... so no depth. I kept meaning to yank it out and put something else in it, but .. they are breeding like mad and so I just left it alone.

The office nano is just a little tank that I wanted to try to do my first carpet in and has a few shrimp in it because I wound up getting 30 fire red cherries instead of 3 by accident, here is it's journal thread:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...fice-nano.html

Though the stem plants rotted off the bottoms. So I've replanted those and was going to stick root tabs under them, but now I am thinking maybe it would be better to just put a little ada under the fluorite to help the plants out a little more.

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
For as expensive as Aquasoil is, i would never mix it up with anything else. I did once and ended up regretting it.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What happened and what did you mix it with?

ₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ°ᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚°~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode