turface plus lava rock in a oebt tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (59/90%)
turface plus lava rock in a oebt tank

hello im starting a oebt tank and im planing on putting turface plus lava rock and i was wondering if this would work also what does turface actually do i bought a flat rate large box for 23 dollars hopping it would be something like akadame please help me out i have no experince with this stuff thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 AM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
I've never used Turface before in a shrimp tank but I know how super light weight that substrate is and knowing how all shrimp like to dig, they'll be churning that stuff like no tomorrow. Churning of substrate is bad juju in any shrimp tank. It'll create spikes in parameters that can lead to shrimp deaths. Of course I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe someone who've actually used Turface successfully can chime in.

Sorry if I scared ya.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

no worries id rather know and not use it than to do the tank and end up with dead shrimp hopefully someone who has used it will chime in thanks anyways

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster760 View Post
no worries id rather know and not use it than to do the tank and end up with dead shrimp hopefully someone who has used it will chime in thanks anyways
I don't have a shrimp-only tank. However, my community tank with RCS and ghost shrimp seem fine with the Turface substrate. The do pick over it, but they don't seem to actually move any of the substrate (they only seem to scrounge around the top and sides of the Turface).

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks thats what I tought that would happened if you domt mind me asking what kind of ph do you have in the tank and what kind of plants do you grow in there pretty much every single thing you have noticed about turface what are the pros and cons about this stuff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Banned

any more input
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm new to the hobby, started my first planted tank in August. It's a 5.5 gal with Turface. I'm growing crypt parva, wisteria, lilaeopsis brasilensis, and hydrocotle rooted in it. It's hard to keep the smaller plants in the turface because it's really light. I put a spoonful of sand over the ones that kept coming up to keep them down until they rooted (I didn't have plant anchors, but will get some).

I like the color, the high CEC (it absorbs nutrients), and the fact that the poop falls down between the pieces, rather than staying on top like with sand. I have cherry shrimp that like to turn the pieces over to get at all sides, but it doesn't ever fly around the tank or cause spikes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thats what i was looking to hear also how do you dose your take or what do you do to it to get stuff to grow really thankful for the help
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
I like the color, the high CEC (it absorbs nutrients),
Turface, Schultz clay conditioner, Profile Aquatic Plant soil, is all made from Fullers earth, a type of clay. It is fired. It is very porous, and yeah it has high CEC..cation exchange capacity, meaning it attracts positive ions, (cations) such as iron. I agree its light weight. I mix a little gravel with it. As it ages in the aquarium and absorbs organic waste it becomes heavier

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thanks got the tank set up and so far it looks like good stuff im able to plant some stuff in it without much trouble

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode