Which cap for plant anchoring plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Which cap for plant anchoring plants?

I am considering using pool filter sand the cap for my topsoil. Are there any issues with root anchoring?

I may be using Glosso, Chain Swords, Hair Grass, larger grasses, tiger lotus, and others. My main concern is with the small foreground plants staying properly anchored.

Other cap considerations include: blasting grit, laterite sand, laterite, floramax.

Laterite sand would be good because of the high CEC.

I do kind of like the light color of the PFS though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

60gal planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well.. I have no idea what you said for the most part. But I have PFS capping my MGOPS in a few of my tanks and think it is just perfect. Holds everything down real well. I do not have small foreground plants though... My smallest is crypt parva...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a 5 gallon shrimp tank with MGOPS and Playsand as a cap. It's over run with HM, and it stays down just fine. I also have a nice patch of HM growing in my 46 BF, and that one is using clay water lily substrate with a playsand cap as well. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
I am considering using pool filter sand the cap for my topsoil. Are there any issues with root anchoring?

I may be using Glosso, Chain Swords, Hair Grass, larger grasses, tiger lotus, and others. My main concern is with the small foreground plants staying properly anchored.

Other cap considerations include: blasting grit, laterite sand, laterite, floramax.

Laterite sand would be good because of the high CEC.

I do kind of like the light color of the PFS though.

I love PFS, they will hold your plants pretty well. Check out my 55G journal. You'll be going crazy how nice PFS look and how they can hold the plants. In my opinion, playsand will trap your soil.

**** Green ****

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I really want soil. How do I get around this issue of anaerobic conditions? How about only using 1 inch of soil and 0.75-1 inch of sand.

I guess I could consider a soil only tank with just a touch of sand on the surface for color only. That may be the way to go.

60gal planted
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yup, 1 inch each layer should be perfectly fine. Wow, I am not sure soil only tank. You need to keep them down pretty good, all you will have a mess.

**** Green ****

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

What about regular fluorite? Maybe use that with a bit of sand on top for color. I am going for minimal vacuuming so too much sand would make the poo really stand out.

60gal planted
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
.....How do I get around this issue of anaerobic conditions? How about only using 1 inch of soil and 0.75-1 inch of sand.

Go with the 1" cap, gives you a bit more to work with until you get a bit used to a dirtied tank.

2nd about that 1st part, read the various threads on this forum many,. myself included, feel that there is no Anaerobic issue. There are many "Chicken Littles" that will tell you the sky is falling and have all the math to prove it, yet our plants keep growing in capped dirt, are fish & shrimp are living happily ever after.

I had a concrete pond at one time. I had access to a large natural pond that had been over grown with lillys the owner allowed me to have a few for my pond. If you've ever collected a lilly from a natural pond you know how nasty, bacterially heavy that muck is they grow in. It will literally suck your foot up to your calf. Yet the lillys grow invasively welling in it. BTW - That pond muck smells worse that an outhouse in July...there's a nice mental picture
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

lol. thanks! Sand it is!

Derail: My tank unfortunately is deep (24"). Do you have any thoughts on?

24" Marlin Forceps Stainless Steel
http://www.aquacave.com/24-marlin-fo...teel-2251.html

24" Marlin Shears Stainless Steel
http://www.aquacave.com/24-marlin-sh...teel-2252.html

60gal planted
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I like Aquacave I buy from them.

I don't know how much I like the mechanical design of those tools. It is very hard to tell much from that pic...they might be very good.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks!

60gal planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode