The Planted Tank Forum banner

And then there was fizz

645 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  anh 
#1 ·
Well after putting the loam I am using into my tank as a cap I began to wonder what all was in it. First step the vinegar test. I threw in several of the larger pieces and to my relief no bubbles. I then threw in some of the very fine grain pieces (sand like) and a few of them bubbled (I would say maybe one or two grains out over every heaping tablespoon) Not the best thing but at that amount I am not reeeallly worried. Now the weird thing happened when I crushed some of the larger stones. Almost all of them nothing happened but then one started to bubble (not a lot but enough to notice). Why would a rock not bubble whole but then when crushed react? Either way it is to late now as I will not be tearing down my tank to deal with this issue, I guess I will deal with what might happen whenever it does happen. It a good feeling knowing that I will have issues with my tank before I even have a single plant and or creature in it.

#2 ·
Fizz does not mean the substrate will be leaching Ca or Mg ions, it could mean that the mineral is able to absorb water. For example, Calcium Bentonite is neutral but when i put it in water it fizzes and change color, but its actually absorbing h20 and metal ions in the water, lowering the PH.

The only way to find out is to put some of those rocks in a cup with distill water and see if it changes Gh Kh or Ph overnight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.