And then there was fizz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
And then there was fizz

Well after putting the loam I am using into my tank as a cap I began to wonder what all was in it. First step the vinegar test. I threw in several of the larger pieces and to my relief no bubbles. I then threw in some of the very fine grain pieces (sand like) and a few of them bubbled (I would say maybe one or two grains out over every heaping tablespoon) Not the best thing but at that amount I am not reeeallly worried. Now the weird thing happened when I crushed some of the larger stones. Almost all of them nothing happened but then one started to bubble (not a lot but enough to notice). Why would a rock not bubble whole but then when crushed react? Either way it is to late now as I will not be tearing down my tank to deal with this issue, I guess I will deal with what might happen whenever it does happen. It a good feeling knowing that I will have issues with my tank before I even have a single plant and or creature in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 12:42 AM
anh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Fizz does not mean the substrate will be leaching Ca or Mg ions, it could mean that the mineral is able to absorb water. For example, Calcium Bentonite is neutral but when i put it in water it fizzes and change color, but its actually absorbing h20 and metal ions in the water, lowering the PH.

The only way to find out is to put some of those rocks in a cup with distill water and see if it changes Gh Kh or Ph overnight.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode