Checked out the LFS for substrate today - this is what is available there - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Checked out the LFS for substrate today - this is what is available there

I haven't found a pool supply place yet to check out the pool filter sand.
Does anyone have a picture - I'd like to see what it looks like before I spend any money on it.

My LFS has :
  • CaribSea "Super Natural" Premium Aquarium Substrate. It's like a black sand., looks nice. Would it compact too much ?
  • Red Sea Plant Success Flora Base. This looks like little rusty coloured spheres. I loved the look of it. How does it work ? Does it hold up well.
  • SeaChem Flourite - it's the red one.
  • Aquarium gravel - just the normal stuff, all kinds of colours and sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Planted Member

I had that Flora Base in my tank before. Its pretty much poor-mans eco-complete. I believe its grounded up black lava rock. This substrate was a nightmare for my cories (too rough). I couldn't really tell if it affected the growth of the plants.
One thing you could do is top the flourite with standard gravel.

*Edit
Oops sorry, Im thinking of caribsea flora base. Not sure about the red sea flora base though. It looks a little like aquasoil, so it might be pretty good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
The black caribsea sand should be Tahitian moon sand and it works well. Doesn't really compact at all and cories do great in it. The others will probably be too rough for them though. If you don't have cories than the flora base Or flourite should do fine for plants and be a bit better than the sand in that respect.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would either go with the flourite or wait. I order all my supplies and get exactly what i want, there are a few online places that are great and ship Canada wide if you wanted to look into that option.

But again if not, flourite is your best bet with the options you have, as it won't break down and need replacing for like 10 years, and its not to sharp so corys can live on it somewhat happily, its high in CEC so plants love it and grow well, and its easy to plant in- it holds plants down and lets them root quickly. Its mainly just the colour thing, i personally don't like red- ish substrates, but if you like them then thats perfect!

-Retired.

-5 Gallon Tank. -Retired
-Davey the Bearded dragon.
-Couple little rescue lap dogs: Boots and Teddy.
-2 Holland lop house rabbits- Percy and Pippen.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
If you are set on PFS, try home depot or whatever home improvement store is local. They might carry it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not "set" on anything at this point.

PFS has been recommended because it's inexpensive, doesn't compact like regular sand, and apparently allows the plants to root quite well.

I like the look of sand too, the Flourite black sand looks amazing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you want a black 'sand' substrate on the cheap, look up Black Diamond (coal slag/blasting media). I paid $8 for a 50# bag at my local Tractor Supply Co.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll see if I can spot that around.
Thank you.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
id do the black diamond and root tabs i had great plant growth and never had a problems with cories i also had a horsehead loach that loved to hide in it all the time
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
I would either go with the flourite or wait. I order all my supplies and get exactly what i want, there are a few online places that are great and ship Canada wide if you wanted to look into that option.

But again if not, flourite is your best bet with the options you have, as it won't break down and need replacing for like 10 years, and its not to sharp so corys can live on it somewhat happily, its high in CEC so plants love it and grow well, and its easy to plant in- it holds plants down and lets them root quickly. Its mainly just the colour thing, i personally don't like red- ish substrates, but if you like them then thats perfect!
What places in Canada would you recommend?

O

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode