Ironite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ironite

I'm working on making my own MTS at the moment and was looking for ingredients and found something interesting, Ironite. Has anyone used this or see an issue with using it? I was thinking of using it to boost the iron in the MTS, as I am having trouble finding red clay. The thought was to add a small amount of it during the MTS process to break it down and mix it in well. Here is the components:

I'm seeing a lot of the other ingredients people are using for MTS like muriate of potash, and it has water soluble iron. I don't see copper. Anything stick out as being bad for a tank, plants or fish?

The only thread I can find about it is old, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...bstrate-3.html, and it seems to be about the a different version.

Tanks:
26 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Scyry,

I thought I recognized that product name. It's not what the declared ingredients are that could be an issue but rather what the undeclared ingredients may be. This data is based upon testing about 10 years ago, but I would not put it in my aquarium.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would go with aquariumplants.com "MILLER IRON CHELATE" if you're worried about any type of Iron deficiency in the plants, or you can go with pure laterite, or some sort of laterite.

I'm slowly going with a 40 gallon MTS myself, and I'm going with both laterite, and adding a bit of Iron Chelate to the Dolomite/Muriate of Potash mix.

Were you able to find Dolomitic compound for the calcium/magnesium in the tank? If not I know a very cheap site to get it from. Just let me know.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode