How much ADA for 150g? With or Without Power Sand? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
How much ADA for 150g? With or Without Power Sand?

I am thinking on rescaping my 150g with ADA substrate in near future. How much do I need of 9L bags? also how much the substrate additive?

Thanks

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by green_valley; 01-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
what's the dimensions of the tank? I used 3 9L bags for my 48 gal, it was 36x18x18, and gave me a pretty good layer (about 3-4 inches thick)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the reply. Dimension is 72"x18"x24". If you use 3 bags for 48g, then I might need around 9 of them. Did you use the substrate additive? how much?

**** Green ****

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I put 8.5 bags in my 150.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I put 8.5 bags in my 150.
Thanks Craig. What's your 150g dimension?

**** Green ****

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
8 9L bags for a bit more than 3" of substrate
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dimensions are important over gallon size. a 120 is only 48" long but a 125 is 72" long and its the footprint that matters for this. I would say about 8 though too. I used 1 9L bag of Netlea for 20gals.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

72x18 foot print and 28" tall

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the info everyone? any comments or opinions on substrate Additive (penac stuff)?

**** Green ****

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It seems like I have to spend around $300 (substrate only) for this new scape. Hmmmmmm......

**** Green ****

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Each 9L bag is 549 cubic inches.

Your tank's footprint is 1296 square inches, so, 2.3 9L bags for every inch of soil you want.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Banned

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_valley View Post
Thanks for the info everyone? any comments or opinions on substrate Additive (penac stuff)?

If you want additives, go for clear super and bacter 100 if you must choose only two. Add Tourmaline if you believe in its properties and don't mind spending the extra cash for a little possible benefit, and add penac W and Penac P if you want to go all out. I use penac P and W and notice a difference...so much so that I imported penac-K and T from a Plocher distributer in Canada since it wasn't available in the US!

I suggest you go all out. On a tank this big you can use the whole bottle of clear super, bacter 100 and tourmaline BC. I am not sure how much penac W and P to use. Probably 50 grams (the penac bottles hold 250 grams)

You don't NEED any of the additives but I look at them like vitamin supplements/accelerators for your substrate system to function the best over a long period of time. You are already spending a lot of money on aquasoil alone, so you may as well spend a little bit more for the additives.

I also highly reccomend power sand if you are going to be using that much aquasoil under that much water pressure.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep about $300 for substrate but well worth it in the long run.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintonParsons View Post
If you want additives, go for clear super and bacter 100 if you must choose only two. Add Tourmaline if you believe in its properties and don't mind spending the extra cash for a little possible benefit, and add penac W and Penac P if you want to go all out. I use penac P and W and notice a difference...so much so that I imported penac-K and T from a Plocher distributer in Canada since it wasn't available in the US!

I suggest you go all out. On a tank this big you can use the whole bottle of clear super, bacter 100 and tourmaline BC. I am not sure how much penac W and P to use. Probably 50 grams (the penac bottles hold 250 grams)

You don't NEED any of the additives but I look at them like vitamin supplements/accelerators for your substrate system to function the best over a long period of time. You are already spending a lot of money on aquasoil alone, so you may as well spend a little bit more for the additives.

I also highly reccomend power sand if you are going to be using that much aquasoil under that much water pressure.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I appreciate it. On one note, I am still not 100% about Power Sand. I have been researching on PS, but I am still not convinced about this water pressure thing. PS also advertise for water movement, but there are other method to complete this issue.

**** Green ****

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Also, I went to my LFS, he claimed that if I only need 2 inches Flat, I can get away with 5 bag 9L. Hmmmmm..........

**** Green ****

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode