How bad are the tannins? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How bad are the tannins?

I was thinking about dirting my new tank, but I am scared of the tannins. I have had a really bad driftwood experience in the past, and really don't want to have to look at a brown tank again. I was thinking of using the Miracle grow organic stuff everybody uses, but I heard the tannins are bad. About how long and bad would it be in a 45 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bad... LOL... especially if you go out for Christmas and forget to do water changes like me. I'm sure they'd clear up after a while though.

I call it the coffee pot.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Soil doesn't usually have much in the way of tannins. What muddies the water is particles of dirt itself. As long as you bury it deep under the gravel, it shouldn't be a problem.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Bad... LOL... especially if you go out for Christmas and forget to do water changes like me. I'm sure they'd clear up after a while though.

I call it the coffee pot.
Where did you get that owl? I effing love OWLS!

and by the way - nobody told me dirt releases tannins - oh well....shall live by the sword and die by the sword I suppose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Your "Tannins" Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardman12 View Post
I was thinking about dirting my new tank, but I am scared of the tannins. I have had a really bad driftwood experience in the past, and really don't want to have to look at a brown tank again. I was thinking of using the Miracle grow organic stuff everybody uses, but I heard the tannins are bad. About how long and bad would it be in a 45 gallon tank?
Hello mallard...

I resolved the driftwood "tannins" problem, by collecting pieces locally. If you can, the next nice day, check out the local river or lake area for driftwood. These pieces don't contain tannins and are easy to clean. My tanks are full of nice pieces, I've been able to find close to home. If not, plan a short trip and see what's available. Take care to research and obey any restrictions to this kind of activity.

I've used Miracle Grow in the past and IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth. The biggest problem I've had with it, is if you disturb it, you'll have material floating in the tank. The stuff does nourish the plants for several months, but the nutrients don't last indefinitely and I've noticed after several months, it starts to cloud the water a little.

I've used the potting mixture in my 45 G tall and if you do large, frequent water changes, it's not bad. I've used it in pots topped with pea gravel and the plants grow pretty well with it. It has some pro and cons like most of the other soils and substrates.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Tannins are useful in some cases in lowering the pH of the water. Like tannins produced from Manzanita wood and from Indian Almond Leafs. Kinda work as buffering agents in shrimp tanks so often times the water will be lightly brown colored. But no where as bad as that picture o.O.

Fast way to remove tannins is to just throw some Seachem Purigen into your filter.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
I've been trying to get tannins, my driftwood and IAl release zero tannins :/

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
drain and soak the soil a few times it will help with the cloudiness. Also, getting an appropriate capping(1-3mm) material to keep the dirt from floating up helps as well. The nutrients do run out yes but by that time you should have accumulated enough mulm to "recharge" the dirt so to speak. it also helps to have material that is porous mixed in with the dirt like lava rocks(trying this with my next setup) or clay that have a high CEC to hold in the nutrients for longer. i think you should read diana walstad's book and do some research to see what other people have done with dirt. you will be surprised at how well it works.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I think that book might be a little over my head as I am only fourteen, but I do plan on reading it in the future. Would I just be better off not dirting it? I really just want to know when will it stop letting out the browness. The driftwood issue was because I didn't boil it, but with my new wood I boiled I should have no problems. I just no how much I hate brown water.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I've done one WC on this tank, but it does have activated carbon in it. Soil tannins aren't bad at all....it's mainly wood and suspended particles ("muddied" look). I actually love the water color. Makes it seem like a pond.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the pics! Is that using the Miracle grow stuff?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This one I set up on 12/15 is using MGOPM (this stuff right here) with a cap of Black Diamond blasting grit, yes.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I used Miracle Grow Organic Soil and it is noticeable but not bothersome. Honestly, if I took a picture, you couldn't even tell. I have seen single pieces of small driftwood do much more to my tanks.

-Matt

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I used Miracle Grow Organic Soil and it is noticeable but not bothersome. Honestly, if I took a picture, you couldn't even tell. I have seen single pieces of small driftwood do much more to my tanks.
Yep. Grapevine is especially bad for this.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha, my Mopani was horrifying. The tannins just stopped after 7 months.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode