Mineralize Soil - Clay issue - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 13
Mineralize Soil - Clay issue

Hi all, i'm started on my mineralize soil process, got most of the material ready. Now is the muddy time : )

btw, from the post of Aaron T

"Now that you have a mineralized soil to use as the substrate, you will want to add in the aforementioned clay. Estimate how much clay you will need so that the resulting mixture of soil and clay is about 5% to 10% clay. If you prefer measurements I use about ¬ľ of a pound of clay per square foot of tank bottom."

Does it mean that the ration of soil to clay is 1:2 ?? Pardon me on my ignorant on %, 5%+10% add up will be 15%, what fill in the rest of the 85% ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,574
They are saying between 5-10% of your mixture should be clay, the remaining 90-95% will be soil.

Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Algae Grower
 
cardiacnurse55's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mounds, OK
Posts: 14
Or for metric for every kilogram of soil, use 50 to 100 grams of clay.
cardiacnurse55 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 AM
t_c
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: australia
Posts: 2
Could you use volume? ie in a 10 litre bucket add 9L soil then add 1 litre of clay
t_c is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
Making MTS is not an exact science. You can successfully vary the mix quite a bit. I interpret the 5-10% number as meaning you don't want 50% clay and 50% topsoil, or 70% clay and 30% topsoil. It is just a rough estimate of how much clay is appropriate to use. The 1/4 pound of clay for one square foot of tank bottom is just a way to estimate how much clay to buy or otherwise obtain. If you used twice that or half of that the mix would still work fine.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
SlammedDC2's Avatar
 
PTrader: (26/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 1,574
I never thought about it that way. I don't see a reason why you couldn't.
I personally don't have that much caly in my MTS, however I didn't make mine. I bought my MTS and it was shipped with the potash, dolomite, and clay in separate bags. I poured the clay into the soil and mixed with my drill.

Semper Fi
SlammedDC2 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 5,994
The Sticky receipt for MTS is a starting point. Just like a bartender "building" a drink you need to consider the customer that's going to enjoy it. A good bartender will use a light hand for a casual drinker and double shoot a bar regular.

I keep crypts that like more Iron. They are from areas with limestone so I add a bit more crushed Oster shell/coral. They are also growing in leaf littered streams, I add Oak leaf litter.

I feel that mixing dirt is more art than science.

Last edited by DogFish; 12-28-2011 at 12:43 PM.
DogFish is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 13
thank u guys for your helpful advice, it sure help in brewing this special MTS

Yeap DogFish, in Borneo island here, crypts are abundance in nature, that will be my main theme for my 50g, bit more crushed coral will sure help
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (267/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Rice paddy soil....is high in % clay........and that is good..because that is where most all wetland plants grow, because well drained soils....lack standing water..........think about it.

Lake bottoms do not have well drain sediment unless they are fed by springs etc/artesian etc. Most are fine clays with 5-10% organic matter.
Some wetlands might have well drained soils also, but....they tend to be seasonal, not permanent or have underlying bedrock that is poorly drained.

This does not imply much for us, because we have a glass tank that hopefully does not leak

A good figure is often found in wetland ecology text and wetland soils text, It has a triangle figure with % clay, % sand and % silt. Clay loam is about in the middle and is a good all purpose aquatic plant material, also, ADA AS...is a very high % clay also. Same % as CA Rice paddy soils. Stuff is brick like when dry.




Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome