Will this work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Will this work?

I purchased: Today I purchased this exact bag. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Also got 2 bags of Eco-Complete to cap. It is a 65Gallon, 30" long and a total of 40lbs Eco-Complete.

Thoughts?

Will I need to add anything on a schedule...root tabs, ferts, dosing etc..?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
if your gonna have plants you need root tabs and ferts. Dosing your going to have to figure out yourself based on how densely planted your tank is and how much light and or pressurized co2 you have going on there.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
I purchased: Today I purchased this exact bag. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Also got 2 bags of Eco-Complete to cap. It is a 65Gallon, 30" long and a total of 40lbs Eco-Complete.

Thoughts?

Will I need to add anything on a schedule...root tabs, ferts, dosing etc..?
Link's not working.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Link's not working.
Thanks for the heads up:

Lighting - T5 Zoomed Fixture - http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSu...5016979&sr=8-7

CO2 - Plan on using 2 Pop Bottle DIY

Filtration - AC50 + AC70

Plants: Jungle Val heavily aligned along back wall. Moss trees (Wheeping Moss), Dwarf Sag, some Reg tiger Lotus, a few Crypts, really interested in some form of carpeting (Micro Sword, Dwarf Hairgrass)
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk4Gti View Post
if your gonna have plants you need root tabs and ferts. Dosing your going to have to figure out yourself based on how densely planted your tank is and how much light and or pressurized co2 you have going on there.
I think he is trying to link to MGOPS...where as he will not need to dose or fert anything aside from mosses.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
I think he is trying to link to MGOPS...where as he will not need to dose or fert anything aside from mosses.
You are correct in your assumption in the MGOPS, my main question was if it is a specific formulation I needed, or will any Organic Potting Soil work.

In a seperate thread someone linked a pic of a specific bag, which Home Depot did not have, just want to ensure I am not setting myself up for disaster. I was going to use Black Diamond Blasting Sand as a cap but figured I basically traded in fish for Eco-Complete which I assumed would be better.

Also Daximus, I just noticed your sig, and realized we seem to be doing a similar setup. I will do my best to maintain and regularly update a journal, although I have a bad track record of this...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistik84 View Post
Thanks for the heads up:

Lighting - T5 Zoomed Fixture - http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-AquaSu...5016979&sr=8-7

CO2 - Plan on using 2 Pop Bottle DIY

Filtration - AC50 + AC70

Plants: Jungle Val heavily aligned along back wall. Moss trees (Wheeping Moss), Dwarf Sag, some Reg tiger Lotus, a few Crypts, really interested in some form of carpeting (Micro Sword, Dwarf Hairgrass)

So is this Potting Mix safe as a base capped by Eco-Complete? What changes between types of potting soil and are some not safe?
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Any organic potting mix will work in my opinion. People stress out about this stuff waaaay too much. There is a guy on the forum (Dogfish) who literary used dog poo as a component of his substrate mix.

It might take a few days longer to get the water ready for fish, but the plants will be just fine...and after a few water changes so will the fish.

I have no experience with Eco Complete, though I'm pretty sure it will work...provided it will hold down dirt.

I have been meaning to get my journal up on here for a month now, just been busy, lol. I can tell you it is growing quite honestly out of my control at this point...on less than 2 w/p/g of T8 lighting. I'm actually going to have to remove some of the plants offspring and sell them or get another tank if this keeps up for another month.

Dirt. Black Diamond. Shoplight. Plants. Fish. Grow. Enjoy.

I do 25% weekly water changes...and not because I need to.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode