Best type of black sand for a Cory tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WVDiscGolfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Best type of black sand for a Cory tank

Hey guys I'm about to start a 20g high planted cory tank. I am using eco-complete plant substrate and want to cap it with black sand. I've read about play sand, regular aquarium sand, pool filter sand, FBS, blasting abrasive, etc and I'm just looking for opinions.

Thanks,
wvdg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know if it's the best, lol, but I have been using black Esetes Ceramaquartz for about 8 months now. I have happy cories and they are always foraging around-as well as happy CPO's and loaches. Seems to be pretty ground-dweller friendly. I found the supplier nearest me on this site http://www.permacolorquartz.com/pool.html
and I think it was $30 for a #50lb bag.
It sinks easily, didn't cloud my water and wasn't oily at all. It is very fine, but I never find it in my filters. The loaches love to dig in it, and the plants stay rooted. That's my experience anyway.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
During wc's do you stir up the sand on purpose like with gravel. or how do you prevent the backflow from the siphon from messing up the whole scape?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Get yourself a product called Black Diamond it is sold at most supply stores as blasting media. Get the lower grain stuff 20-30 higher grain would work too. It sinks doesn't leave particles or media floating in your water column and it look great. Its soft to the touch under water so your corys while love it. I rinsed mine but have read that other just threw it in the tank with the same results as if they didn't go through the rising process.

If you can find a supplier Black Diamond is around 8 dollars for a 50lb. bag.

I never needed the "For Dummies" book for my dogs but for a glass box WoW.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxIBluepitIxI View Post
Get yourself a product called Black Diamond it is sold at most supply stores as blasting media. Get the lower grain stuff 20-30 higher grain would work too. It sinks doesn't leave particles or media floating in your water column and it look great. Its soft to the touch under water so your corys while love it. I rinsed mine but have read that other just threw it in the tank with the same results as if they didn't go through the rising process.

If you can find a supplier Black Diamond is around 8 dollars for a 50lb. bag.
Thanks for the recommendation. I found another thread full of folks touting this stuff and there's a Tractor Supply within 30min from me so I think I'll try it. I think the grit size most people said worked well is the 20-40.
ttatummm likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDiscGolfer View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I found another thread full of folks touting this stuff and there's a Tractor Supply within 30min from me so I think I'll try it. I think the grit size most people said worked well is the 20-40.
Yup, I'm using it...awesome stuff.

And yes, you want the 20/40. It's the largest size, closest to sand, the 40/80 is too fine...kinda dust like. Mine didn't need rinsing, but sometimes it does.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Mine didn't need rinsing, but sometimes it does.
Ok thanks. I think I'll probably take a chance and go without rinsing. I need to cycle it anyway and I'm guessing the cloudiness would disappear before it's ready for cories.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDiscGolfer View Post
Ok thanks. I think I'll probably take a chance and go without rinsing. I need to cycle it anyway and I'm guessing the cloudiness would disappear before it's ready for cories.
It will be fine after 5-6 hours.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 on the Black Diamond. My green cories are doing well in it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks. I added Eco-complete and the black diamond blasting sand and there was very little clouding. The water was clear in a few hours like Daximus said. Time to start planting and cycling.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode