Fluorite Black Sand issue? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluorite Black Sand issue?

I have a FBS cap which seems to deposit its dust on the lower leaves of my plants, enough to harm the plants. Anyone else? Perhaps it is because I didn't rinse it and get rid of the fines?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(defunct)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Eventually the dust will settle and either mix with mulm or slip down between larger grains. Give it a week or two. If it's been longer than that and dust is still the same problem it was, you can get as much of it floating as possible and do some large water changes. If the issue seems to be getting better slowly, just wait it out.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought larger substrate particles moved up and smaller ones moved down? It has been in for a couple of months, and I don't think it will get better. I have goldfish and they graze the substrate aggressively all day. I think the action continually grinds the FBS down into smaller particles. I think I will have to cap it. Some of my plants, like the cabomba which has a natural mucous like coating, really attract the dust. I don't think they will survive it. I am almost certain it is FBS dust, but know next to nothing about planted tanks. I may well cap it but know I run a risk by creating too deep a substrate. I have an inch of mud, a half inch of sand, then the half inch of fluorite. I think I would cap it with cookie sized stones and pool filter sand. Any more thoughts???

(defunct)

same tank now

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oops. I screwed up the first sentence in my previous post. I just realized that you said the small particles would move down. My bad.

(defunct)

same tank now

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Flourite does seem to release a lot silt during movement. If you have enough flow in your water it seems to stop the silt from all landing on one plant and smothering it.

For additional info, there was some discussion here as well: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...-flourite.html

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I will have to cap it. I am using fluorite sand not regular fluorite and the goldfish never stop kicking it up. Higher flow would not be enough. Thanks for the link.

(defunct)

same tank now

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have FBS, but mine is capped w Tahitian Moon Sand. I don't have Goldfish tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324701769.843236.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	39194  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Interesting. Do you have dirt underneath? Why did you cap? Did you know the FBS would be a problem on top? I am concerned that moon is too sharp for goldfish who mouth it all day. I am considering PFS or glass beads for sandblasting.

(defunct)

same tank now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode