Seachem Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem Flourite

I was planning on using Seachem's Flourite dfor a new tank but after reading some posts on it on other forums I'm not so sure anymore. A lot of people seem to have a lot of problems with water clarity and I am now starting to think that maybe it's not worth it... (see http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3502).

What are your experiences wioth Flourite and is it worth it if I want a planted tank? I suppose I could go the Walstad way instead...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am using it in my 29 gallon. I capped it off with a half inch of aquarium gravel and have had zero problems with cloudiness. When you handle it it leaves stains on your hands so there is a lot of fine residue in it. If you intend to cap it you should be OK.

Hardware: 50 Gallon SeaClear, Eheim 2213 canister, 5lb auto CO2, Seachem Flourite, Eco Complete, 100 watts of T5HO.
Software: Fish, plants, research.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you rinse it well you will be fine. If you don't it will be awful.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
It remains my personal favorite of the commercial substrates.

You do have to rinse it really well first. I do that outside with a bucket and a hose. Takes maybe 15 min.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I don't know about the article. But I read a few posts here saying NOT to rinse it or you lose like 50% of the volume. Didn't rinse the flourite at all, just placed 2" of it into my 10 gallon. Filled the water slowly up using a plate. Yes there was initial cloudiness. Yes I was worried. But that cleared up within a day. The following pictures are from my tank.

Placed flourite, planted plants, and slowly filled up tank. Cloudy

~24 hours later. Cloudiness almost all gone. Didn't even use a filter as you can see. Just had the bubble curtain going in the back to promote circulation

Week later. Added new plants which disturbed substrate, however, no more cloudiness. Never ran a filter. Only did daily 10% water changes while trying to siphon out the brown dust as mentioned in the OP's link.

I'm pretty darn happy with flourite for the amount I paid, $15/15lbs. Cheapest "good" substrate IMO.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IME for some reason the black version isn't *quite* as messy as the red. But I know from experience that the red is disastrous if you don't rinse it first- every time you do any tank maintenance (especially if you need to move a plant) it will leave a cloud of silt on all the plant leaves. I didn't know to rinse the first time I ever used Flourite, and I killed a lot of plants that way. :/

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
IME for some reason the black version isn't *quite* as messy as the red. But I know from experience that the red is disastrous if you don't rinse it first- every time you do any tank maintenance (especially if you need to move a plant) it will leave a cloud of silt on all the plant leaves. I didn't know to rinse the first time I ever used Flourite, and I killed a lot of plants that way. :/
Hm... do you have good flow in your tank? I did notice the burst of silt every time I moved a plant but that immediately got dispersed throughout my tank. Then I think either the filter sucked it up or the shrimp ate it or cleaned the plants off... not sure which.

I've only ever used black haha. Did you fill up your tanks very slowly as well?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode