Aquasoil Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Aquasoil Question

I recently purchased two 3L bags of Amazonia from adana-usa, I bought one of the new multi type and one of the new Amazonia standard (replaced the II I believe).

Two concerns.

The colors are a little off, the new multi type Amazonia is darker than the new Amazonia. I don't imagine this bothering me. I planned on two 5.5 tanks initially, and wanted to try both types, but have decided on doing one tank only, the Mr. Aqua 11.4. So if I just mix up the two types I think I'll be ok. Unless someone thinks otherwise?

Second, the dimensions of my tank are 48.5cm x 30cm x 30cm. I don't think six liters of AS is going to give me the desired slope I planned. Is there anything I can put underneath the back half of the tank to take up some space and just lay the AS on top? Or should I just pony up for another bag to avoid regrets later?

FWIW, plan is high-tech, rock scape, fish and shrimp

Thanks to anyone who can share their opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
You can put lava rock underneath the substrate in the back to help keep your slope up
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
For me i use 20lb eco-complete capped with 4.4 fluval stratum on top. Lava rock is good too because of the large amount of area surface bacteria can grow in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Would sand be a bad idea? I was going to get a 5 pound bag of black aquarium sand for cheap, and just use a couple inches towards the back. I thought I read something on here about it compacting though at certain depths, and that being a bad thing. The fine grain sand should stay underneath the amazonia I would assume, and shouldn't ever be disturbed... but I'm sure there's something I'm over looking because I haven't found anyone who's done this.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd go with rock simply because I find that AS and FSS settles over time and your slope will disappear entirely. This has happened in all my tanks. Learn from my mistake.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode