10 Gallon Planted shrimp tank substrate... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/80%)
10 Gallon Planted shrimp tank substrate...

So it's been suggested to me to use a potting soil mix (miracle grow organic) and cap it with sand. Seems like a really great idea and it's cheap too, but I'm just wondering about how I should get it setup with plants. From reading around, one of the main draw backs to soil is simply the mess it makes with moving plants around. So would I get the dirt/sand on hand, order a package of plants, add/moisten dirt, plant the plants, cap with sand, the add water? How should I go about with this substrate and adding plants and such? How would a soil substrate affect shrimp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
I've had soil shrimp tanks, sand shrimp tanks, gravel shrimp tanks, and fluval shrimp stratum tanks... I can say that by far I see the best growth and reproduction rate with the fluval!

At $7 for the 4.4lbs, or $14 for the 8.8, I would say it's almost comparable to buying the potting soil, sand, and the labor/annoyance that goes into all of that!

Plus, it's pretty and easy to work with :P
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaizabelle View Post
I've had soil shrimp tanks, sand shrimp tanks, gravel shrimp tanks, and fluval shrimp stratum tanks... I can say that by far I see the best growth and reproduction rate with the fluval!

At $7 for the 4.4lbs, or $14 for the 8.8, I would say it's almost comparable to buying the potting soil, sand, and the labor/annoyance that goes into all of that!

I've been looking at it but I wasn't sure if 4.4 lbs would be enough for a nice layer in a 10 gallon. Do you know if it can be found at petsmart/petco? If not, I'll probably consider ordering online.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
This is really dependent on what shrimp you're trying to breed in the 10g. Will it be neocaridina such as RCS or yellows? Or more picky shrimp such as CRS, OEBT?

Also, are you looking to have strictly a shrimp tank? That is, only mosses and floaters to have maximum area to view shrimp. Or, do you want a planted tank with shrimp inside.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
This is really dependent on what shrimp you're trying to breed in the 10g. Will it be neocaridina such as RCS or yellows? Or more picky shrimp such as CRS, OEBT?

Also, are you looking to have strictly a shrimp tank? That is, only mosses and floaters to have maximum area to view shrimp. Or, do you want a planted tank with shrimp inside.
I'll stick with RCS, CRS are really tempting but I doubt I'll be able to keep them alive. As far as plants go, I guess I will want to cater more towards the shrimp. Moss is definate and I would like floaters, probably some frogbit from the local river. I am on a bit of a loss.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Location: In a little town in the central valley of California!
If you aren't going to have any heavily rooted plants, you might be able to get away with the 4.4lb bag. I just put a shallow layer down in my breeding tanks!

I've never seen a petsmart or petco carry it, but it is on Amazon ($11 for 4.4, $19.50 for 8.8) I don't know if that is the best deal, but at least it would be free shipping on an order of $25 or more :P
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondTheMoonBear View Post
I'll stick with RCS, CRS are really tempting but I doubt I'll be able to keep them alive. As far as plants go, I guess I will want to cater more towards the shrimp. Moss is definate and I would like floaters, probably some frogbit from the local river. I am on a bit of a loss.
If you're set on keeping RCS, you don't need expensive soils at all. I would go out and get a bag of seachem flourite. I use it in my 10g shrimp tanks and I am very pleased. I used flourite black gravel, large pieces that keep plants down and remove possible dead spots in the substrate. The black really brings out the shrimps colors as well.

I would say go with fluval or ADA for shrimp that require softer more acidic water. But with RCS you can really use anything you'd like.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And seachem flourite goes for $1/lb. You can also check on the seachem site to see if places near you carry it.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
If you're set on keeping RCS, you don't need expensive soils at all. I would go out and get a bag of seachem flourite. I use it in my 10g shrimp tanks and I am very pleased. I used flourite black gravel, large pieces that keep plants down and remove possible dead spots in the substrate. The black really brings out the shrimps colors as well.

I would say go with fluval or ADA for shrimp that require softer more acidic water. But with RCS you can really use anything you'd like.
But I would also really like to add plants, so the substate would need to be good for both. Though assuming some low light plants could be kept on gravel, I'm fine with that!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem flourite gravel is really good for plants if you decide to dose ferts as flourite has high CEC properties. I'm not saying it's better than substrate with nutrients built right in (such as MTS), but I feel it's pretty good in shrimp tanks due to cost. If you'd like to see how it looks you can check out the link in my sig. I use the flourite in both my 10g tanks. I bought two bags, I believe 30lbs total, and it's enough for 3x 10g with 2 inches of substrate on the bottom.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaizabelle View Post

I Was wondering where did you get 4.4lb for $7 from... Normal price is $15 for 4.4 and $30 for 8.8lb at local fish store in southern califonia

|

|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode