Akadama substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Akadama substrate

I've been looking into akadama as a shrimp substrate. Are there any differences from brand to brand? how long does it last before it breaks down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm also interested in this and how does it fare vs fluval stratum or ada soil (besides ammonia leeching). Seems very popular from what i've been reading on forums.

----gauny----

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've heard its very much like aquasoil but without the ammonia leeching and nutrients. What worries me is the breakdown of akadama. If it completely dissolves in a year or two then its not worth the trouble for me.

Does anyone know the difference between brands? I can pick up a 18L bag locally but its not the double red line brand but the "power up!" brand.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I've had it up in for a several months in my fry tank and it hasn't broken down at all. Also have it in a high tech tank and my plants seem too love it. I did a thin dust of peat underneath it along with some root tabs. I would take it any day over fluval stratum, no experience with aqua soil.

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
As long as it's "hard type", it should be fine. As far as I know, the double red line brand is the most popular "hard type" soil. I cannot speak to the hardness of other brands, but be careful, because Imke on shrimpnow bought some akadama of a different brand, and it dissolved in a matter of weeks into a bed of mud.

I have been using akadama double red line for about 2 months now, and it seems to be fine. No visible breakdown, and no problems with ammonia.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Well I know what im using in my next shrim tank. Never had stratum only ada soil. I hear akadana lowers ph better in a test at shrimpnow

----gauny----

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 06:27 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Akadama.didn't lower pH as well as Ada soil in my water, but it works good anyways
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Akadama.didn't lower pH as well as Ada soil in my water, but it works good anyways
Did you mean it as "Mine doesn't lower PH as much as ADA soil" ? Just curious because the way it was worded could be confusing.

Mine lowers ph well too 6.5~ if I remember correctly, but I hear aquasoil goes down too 5.8~ or something like that. Keep in mind it has alot too do with your water, very hard water for WC's and top offs are going too greatly deplete your soils buffer capabilities.

Fraternity of dirt #8

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 AM
These pants? are fancy.

Yeah, akadama buffers my water to 5.5, ada buffers to 5.0
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 06:12 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just don't like the look. So not uniformed and big pieces. + bright brown.

|

|
|

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
'Cap' it with something cheap.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
These pants? are fancy.

Yeah, that's one of my complaints too. I mean, ot looks nice, not a terrible color, but so hard to see shrimp on it because its light
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Not if the shrimp is dark/white.

But if you like see through shrimp or lighter shrimp, I see your point. My K14's and Black tigers look fine in Akadama but I have a really hard time looking for my Fire Yellows. lol

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi All,

I went out and looked at the Double Red Line Akadama last week. It is fairly hard, definitely harder than my Amazonia I, and comes in two sizes: Medium and Fine. Medium is a larger grain size than ADA Amazonia I. The fine is about the same size as Amazona I but has smaller grains as well. The color looks more like a fired light brown clay product.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krillkill View Post
I've heard its very much like aquasoil but without the ammonia leeching and nutrients. What worries me is the breakdown of akadama. If it completely dissolves in a year or two then its not worth the trouble for me.

Does anyone know the difference between brands? I can pick up a 18L bag locally but its not the double red line brand but the "power up!" brand.
Just did a quick google search and the first mention I saw of the power up brand is that it was too soft: Second post in this thread: http://bonsaistudygroup.com/general-discussion/akadama/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode