substrate swapping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate swapping

I finally had the time to ditch that nasty red sea florabase @#$% today. I had it over ugf in my 15 tall as they reccomended. This the tank with diy 5 gallon sump and overflo btw.
Took me 2 hours to catch fish ,drain remove floracrap, rinse, replace with seachem onyx sand mixed with estes black sand (15lbs+5lbs) and replant.
I noticed how much easier it was to plant in the onyx it seems to hold them down a lot better.
Anyhow I wish I had done this sooner cause I am loving the dark substrated look.
For the aquascaping I am going for a twisted val jungle with some mayaca fluviatilis and some wood with ferns.
If you have some ideas of small plants to suggest I'd love to hear about them.
Anyhow any of you people using florabase and hating that dusty red look on your plants go for the swap you will not regret it.
Botia

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Milwaukee Co2 and PH controller
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
Botia Kubotai and dwarf rainbows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:45 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Excellent... its a bit of work for a couple hours but well worth it to be happy with the substrate. That sounds like a nice mix , it must have a smooth look to it.
How was it under the UGF when ya pulled it out ? I pulled one out of a 30L tank years ago that made me run for the door gasping for air it stunk so bad ! It was setup a long, long time and got root clogged.
what a mess
Anyways, I will leave the plantings up to you but I might change one plant you are thinking of... the jungle Vals. They might be too wide a leaf blade for that size tank... a thinner leafed variety may make the tank appear larger and allow you to plant a few more in the same size area for a better effect. Jungle Vals need a lot of room. Just a thought...
It sounds though that you are allready much happier with the new look, Congrats on the swap... dont forget to take some photos , we love photos !
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

vals and smell..

Nope no smell the ugf had only been switched to florabase in september. I am very fastidious with cleaning ugf's so I've never had a prob.
As to the "jungle vals" That was a mistake. I had a lot of the small thin twisted leaf vals doing well in the florabase. I just replanted them on the left side fron to back for a "jungle feeling". The mayaca is on the right with the wood off centre tank right. I salvaged a few springs of elocharis grass too but I did not have luck with before.
There will be no pics untils the tank clears out. It looks bleck right now.
I recently had all my ferns(both wendelov and java) on my wood melt and die sadly. I trimmed off the dead leaves so it looks like HEdouble hockey sticks right now but my other tank did that last year and now it's doing great.
Any suggestions for low ground cover btw?
Botia:0-

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 11:29 PM

Did you hate Florabase mostly for the color, lightness, or messiness? Did you entirely throw it out?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Low ground cover ?
You could use glosso , riccia , marselia , or even moss covered rocks if the lighting is lower.
A bit taller is dwarf sags or hairgrass, maybe some parvula.

So many choices to make... LOL
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

why

Yes I thought it would look darker when wet. It is far too light and very difficult to plant in. Very messy every loach digging in it sent up a dust cloud that settled on all my plants.
It currently resides in a bucket in my gazebo. I may add to my low tech lazy tank Or add it to my rose and wild fern garden outside.
IF I was to get a substrate that colour again it would be turface mvp at 14$ 50lbs a superior product I am told.
BotiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscesgirl
Did you hate Florabase mostly for the color, lightness, or messiness? Did you entirely throw it out?

Newest Tank
16G Aquastar High Tech
Co2 Art inline difuser
36 Watts Nicrew Led Mod.
Seachem Onyx sand
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try searching for Turface Gray, but I heard it's pretty light too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode