is this a good substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
is this a good substrate?

50% sand and 50% small rock

Last edited by aquarium boy; 02-22-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

well i guess no one knows
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
How small is the rock? I use shale gravel from the Hudson River and it works, some of the pieces are pretty big.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

the small kind that you get at the lfs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
It just depends on what your tank is for, how ever you can do half side of the tank gravel and the other half side of the tank sand. It would look nice
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

The bigger thing will end up on top and the smaller on the bottom with time. Ie the sand will 'sink.' Corries do love to play in sand!

Moved to Tucson.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

well shud i just put sand?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would mix them up, with time the sand will settle to the bottom, but the mix of different sizes looks natural. And if you are planting stems you will be mixing the substrates up frequently anyways.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:15 AM

to be completely honest... i absolutely hate sand now.. i put in sand because i knew it looked good and natural... but it clouds up my water and now i have to almost replace my whole AC200 (i ahve a 10g tank with sand) because the whole thing is just infested with grains of sand... the whole sponge is a big puddle of sand.. its really pretty bad... the substrate is too sensitive and the sand tends too cloud up the wtaer real bad wen u first start it off.. so don't even consider sand and go with your natural looking rocks
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

well i will go with ether eco complete or florite now
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Flourite and Eco-Complete are both great choices for substrate for a planted tank. Although the question is, if you want your substrate to be dark or light?

I'd get eco-complete over flourite, but having a darker substrates intend to show the nasty waste of the fish (more visible) than having flourite.

They both can run anywhere from $10-20 for a 15-20lb bag, good luck!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 09:13 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekkim
to be completely honest... i absolutely hate sand now.. i put in sand because i knew it looked good and natural... but it clouds up my water and now i have to almost replace my whole AC200 (i ahve a 10g tank with sand) because the whole thing is just infested with grains of sand... the whole sponge is a big puddle of sand.. its really pretty bad... the substrate is too sensitive and the sand tends too cloud up the wtaer real bad wen u first start it off.. so don't even consider sand and go with your natural looking rocks
Concerning sand, it really pays to shop around. I went to Lowes, Home depot and pool supply places trying to go the cheap route. I purchased several of these to only find out they were way to fine and dirty. For a little more money I bought some at a local pet store that had a nice grain size and was very clean. it doesn't fly around or cloud the water at all. I love it.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 12:05 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have never had any kind of sand, cloud the water. I have used cheap sand , pool sand , tahitan moon sand, LFS aquarium sand , onyx sand... not one ever clouded the water but if you do not RINSE it until you are blue in the face and the water runs clear from the "small one gallon sized bucket" you use to rinse it in then you will forever have a problem.
A 15lb bag of sand probably weighs 13lb's when I am done rinsing but it is well worth it.

What you need to do with sand is get the dust out of it... all that is left is basically "very" fine stones. It is very time consuming but must be done or you will never be happy with it.

If you have any mess in the water with sand I will guarantee that you took a short cut in the preperation for the tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I have had bad luck with sand too I used to use playsand though ...
it just clouded the water everytime i moved plants around....it also deposited on leaves and caused bba on them ( my observation )...
the ADF and Fishes moved it around...plus the mulm collecting on the top is unsightly....

I use Eco complete with both my tanks now..and love the results and looks...

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Sand and gravel provide no minerals for plants at all. People use clay gravel because it contains iron and other minerals. Sand compacts

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode