JBL Aqua Basic plus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
JBL Aqua Basic plus

has anyone have any experinece with this product or knows anything about it. Does it compare with Eco complete. I am having some trouble finding eco complete here in australia but my mate duck is helping. The LFS said they can get this in for me so i wanted some expert advice before i say yes to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:23 AM

If you're talking about the JBL AquaBasis product, this is a substrate that goes *under* gravel. It cannot be used standalone like Flourite or Eco-complete...

At least according to JBL's website.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've heard good things about this additive. I recommend it as well. Just add some peat, and mulm(fish gunk, decaying leaves, etc.) with it and you're good to go.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

well there will be normal gravel on top if i go with this product if i cant get the eco complete. Should i have 50/50 or 75/25 with the aqua basic with more?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 01:30 PM
gsg
Algae Grower

I am using it currently in my tank. It's been there for a month now, and it leaks so many carbonates to the water that i can't believe they don't say anything about it in the bag. It weekly takes my kH from 4 up to 7'5 in a matter of days after every water change. This weekend is going out, i am tearing up the tank and going with another inert substrate.
Not good, even though plants are growing fine.
Regards,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:08 PM

I use it in my pots (haven't got a planted tank yet, just pots, or jars, on a bare bottom).

As you can see, it's a very fine clay powdery 'soil'. Which means great clouds of muddy brown water if you disturb it, which is why I'm not planning on using it when I set up my tank. Okay for my pots because I make the mess in a bucket/sink, not the tank!

But it holds fine roots really well as you can see in the pic. Which means you'll also pull a lot of it up if you decide to uproot a plant!

It goes as a bottom layer below the gravel. The instructions say 2cm of Aquabasis Plus, then 4-5cm of normal gravel on top.

It's nutrient rich out of the pack, but depletes totally within four weeks, I guess to last through the initial set-up, after which you're supposed to add fertiliser tabs or sticks into the gravel to help (I actually add AZOO slow release fertiliser granules to it when I pot to last 3 months). Which means it's probably uneccessary having it there in the first place. Ditto if you're planning to use the EI method.

But it's supposed to be able to absorb and hold new nutrients from the water flow, so I suppose it's designed to need to work with those 'debatable' undergravel JBL heating cables to circulate water through it.

Hope that helps!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode