Flourite cloud - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourite cloud

I am having trouble with my new tank. I bought 2 15lbs bags of original Flourite. I followed the directions and rinsed each bag (took the contents out and soaked and rinsed in separate container) before I added it to my tank. When I poured the Flourite into the aquarium the water turned very dark almost gray. I did not want the resin to get all over the aquarium and sink into the substrate so I siphoned out the water and refilled the aquarium the water is now brown and you cannot see through it. I waited 48 hours to see if the cloud would settle. So far no results. Should I drain and refill until the water is clear or will it eventually settle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I would say let it settle at this point, if there are fish in the tank there's no need to torture them any further. It might take a couple of days to clear and you might want to rinse you filter media and change out some filter pads after it clears. It's very hard to add florite to a filled tank, I've done it by rinsing the florite well and then adding it slowly by lowering a large net to the bottom and then pushing on the back of net my scraper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:37 AM

I would put extra filter floss in the filter and not replace it untill flow is restricted, the dirtier the floss gets the better it will trap the fine particles.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 09:05 AM

Maybe try turning the filter off for a while. It may settle faster.

Scott
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Flourite needs to be rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed several (@10) times before you won't notice as much of a cloud. It won't really go away because little micron sized bits of clay are rubbing off, creating that "cloud", as well as other particles of the substrate.
I use a hang-on-the-sink strainer and pour water through it till it runs clears, dump that batch into a bucket, rinse, repeat...3 strainers full = 1 bag for me...

If you've already poured it in, and there are no fish or plants in there, you might want to try a coagulating agent, something like tetra water clarifier, but I wouldn't trust those things no matter how "safe for fish and plants" they are.
If you do add some clarifier, it will clump up the particulates, and make them a bit easier to remove, but your filter will need a big time cleaning afterwards.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

NO fish or plants in the tank yet. I am still in the setup stage. I think what I am going to do is ( run water into the tank ) while another tube drains the tank close to the surface. I did one more drain and refill and the water is much better. But not clear at all. I think if I ran water in and took water out at the same time it would be like a huge overflow and it might work. The trick in not to disturb any flourite at the bottom or I will have to start over. I will let you know if this works.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
here is what i would do. Drain the tank. Fill it again but very slowly. Took me 10 mins to fill my 55 gal but it was clear the next day. I was also in your shoes when i first filled it up. Tank was completly grey.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 PM

Why do people insist that flourite needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. All you are doing is rinsing away nutrients. Flourite will cloud your tank when your first put it in. Just be patient! It will settle. If you are really worried put a little filter floss in your filter to help with the process.

You can try to rinse flourite all you want but you will never rinse it clear.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox
Why do people insist that flourite needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. All you are doing is rinsing away nutrients. Flourite will cloud your tank when your first put it in. Just be patient! It will settle. If you are really worried put a little filter floss in your filter to help with the process.

They insist on rinsing it because in every pub you read it says to rinse the substrate before putting it in the tank. So if they don't ask, they wouldn't have known, like me! And I would bet you didn't know until you either read it or asked.

Scott
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
BS..waterhose & 5gal bucket, when I did mine, filled the tank, water was very clear from day 1. has been since, 2 years now.

Craig

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. I have always been able to get Flourite to rinse clear. And what nutrients are you washing away? The method I use to rinse Flourite gets rid of the dust. But it keeps the fine particles. And the contradiction in saying to put filter floss in your filter to get rid of the cloud vs saying that rinsing Flourite rinses away nutrients is large. The filter floss is taking out the same things that rinsing the Flourite is.

Last edited by KyleT; 02-20-2005 at 06:34 AM.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Well I am stuck on what to do. I have the tank full -- filter running -- and the water is still murky. Question: When you go to plant something or say you swirl your finder in the substrate a little, Should a cloud come up from that ? A thick puff comes up from the Flourite when I move some around. It seems to stay close to the bottom and settle.
Its been about a week now; and the water is at best translucent. I can see the back of the aquarium, but the water is gray/brown and murky. What should I do ?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicate
Well I am stuck on what to do. I have the tank full -- filter running -- and the water is still murky. Question: When you go to plant something or say you swirl your finder in the substrate a little, Should a cloud come up from that ? A thick puff comes up from the Flourite when I move some around. It seems to stay close to the bottom and settle.
Its been about a week now; and the water is at best translucent. I can see the back of the aquarium, but the water is gray/brown and murky. What should I do ?
I just rebuilt a tank using 100% Flourite. You are right , the first few days a small cloud will come up when you disturb it. But after about a week, my water is the clearest it has ever been. Even if I replant, the cloud has not returned.

So I wouldn't worry about it, the cloud will go away on its own. In my experience anyway.

Hope this helps

Scott
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I've never had a problem with a cloud. That's because I get rid of the dust before I put the Flourite into the tank.

Last edited by KyleT; 02-20-2005 at 06:36 AM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 01:08 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Rinsing flourite in the dead of winter is not a fun experience. If you rinse, rinse, rinse you can get it pretty clear.

You need better fliter material. Make sure you have very fine filter material in there. Floss is good, but I also like micron.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode