terralit and jbs 7 fertiliser balls - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile terralit and jbs 7 fertiliser balls

im gonna be setting up my new planted tank this weekend and have a couple of questions.ive got a 2mm brown quarts substrate and have a product by aqua medic called terralit.its a gravel additive/slow relese fertiliser which will be mixed with the quarts gravel and be going over a heating cable .has anyone used terralit or knows how effective it is? also im thinking of backing it up with the jbl fertiliser balls which give 12 months fertilising (placing them around the roots of any fertiliser sapping plants i may put in) has anyone used the fertiliser balls also?....any speedy answers would be great as i said im gonna be setting up this weekend and the missus isnt to happy about all the "faffing around" (as she puts it. thanks in advance for your help in this matter.......chris

my life is being taken over !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Terralit is zeolite-based, which means it has a really high CEC(ability to store/transfer nutrients). But why are you using a cable heater? Does it say to use it? And you should probably add JBL Aquabasis to make the substrate more long term.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have set up my tank with a substrate cable, laterite & terralit mixed into a layer of gravel (around and just above the cable), then a thin layer of peat directly on top of that, finished with a thicker layer of gravel.

This may seem like overkill, but the tank is going to be running pressurised CO2 with 6W/gal lighting and heavy ferts.

As mentioned by Raul, terralit has a great cation exchange capacity, which can be seen here.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile heater cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
Terralit is zeolite-based, which means it has a really high CEC(ability to store/transfer nutrients). But why are you using a cable heater? Does it say to use it? And you should probably add JBL Aquabasis to make the substrate more long term.
i was told that having a heater cable would warm the water in the substrate causing it to rise thus drawing down main aquarium water creating a water cycle which would distribute the nutrients.also stops water in substrate from be coming stagnent i think the proper term is anaerobic .if im wrong in my thinking could anyone please correct me asap as im setting up the tank this weekend....thanks for the reply....chris

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

This is simply a myth, people who claim they work make themselves believe they do; but in reality they dont. The temperature gradient isn't big enough to create a water cycle between the substrate and the water and if you think I'm wrong, try measuring the temperature in the substrate and the water and see the difference. If you're looking for good growth, it's much better and proven to invest in good lights, C02, substrate, and ferts...but not cable heaters.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
This is simply a myth, people who claim they work make themselves believe they do; but in reality they dont. The temperature gradient isn't big enough to create a water cycle between the substrate and the water and if you think I'm wrong, try measuring the temperature in the substrate and the water and see the difference. If you're looking for good growth, it's much better and proven to invest in good lights, C02, substrate, and ferts...but not cable heaters.
ive all ready bought the heating cable so ill put it in (it cant do any harm).ill have 2.5 watts per gallon with reflectors.substrate as mentioned and a hagan co2 (the fermenting type).do you think this should be ok?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Are you going to add JBL Aquabasis? I recommend you do. Which substrate heater are you using? Can't you get a refund on it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Are you going to add JBL Aquabasis? I recommend you do. Which substrate heater are you using? Can't you get a refund on it?
i have terralit which is to be mixed with fine quatz gravel.when mixed i think it will be the equivelent of aqua basis,a fine inhert substrate which is pre loaded with nutrients and will have the facility to store fresh nuterients as they become available.also if i add the jbl fertiliser balls around the roots of the nutrient hungry plants it should b ok. i ordered the heater cable online and it isnt worth sending it back...chris

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:40 AM

i am using 2kg of terralit mixed with 14kg of flourite and seeing some good results (with lots of light, CO2 and regular ferts dosing). no heating cable however.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingborris
i am using 2kg of terralit mixed with 14kg of flourite and seeing some good results (with lots of light, CO2 and regular ferts dosing). no heating cable however.
its a small world, i presume you are the same "kingborris" from uk discus association.....i would go for terralit mixed with flourite, however i have already got 50kg of dark brown 1-3 mm quartz gravel and i like the look of it.if i used flourite and then put my substrate over the top it will sink below the flourite,also im led to belive that ecco,flourite,volcanit and others like them arnt good for catfish ie corys whick i like also.but you have all got me thinking about other ways of improving the long term fertilising capability of my gravel/terralit mix.anyone any ideas bearing in mind the above....chris

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM

yup... same kingborris.

i have a group of C. habrosus in my planted tank, and they dont have any issues with the flourite. quite happy nosing about in it. i am however going for a carpet of E. parvulus to cover the substrate, so the only places that will have access to it will be at the bases of my stem plants. its possible larger corys would have issues with the courseness of flourite, as they may push through it harder... but i dont know.

as for your different layers... well you will probably get some mixing, but a lot will depend on how much you rearrange the plants once in place. move stuff around a lot, and your layers will mix. leave it in place, and it should be fairly stable.

i am planning on a flourite base (0.5-1") for my next planted discus tank, with a fine sand (white or black... havent decided yet) (1" - 1.5") layer on top, as i cant afford flourite for a complete 5'x2' base.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode