Special Kitty not so special.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Special Kitty not so special..

I decided to start working on a cheap 10g setup so I thought I would see if it's true, that some kitty litter turns to mush (like Rex says)...so I bought the brand that wasn't supposed to........and it did! Yep grey soup, immediately. At least I only wasted $1.97. So I bought some pea gravel and sand, and I'll use a little of my flourite from my big tank. So now I know...........it isn't from the same hole that Wassperpest gets his from!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've got some in a tank that is almost 2 years old now. It is mixed with sand and pea gravel, so even after it breaks down, it doesn't settle and compact, since the sand and pea gravel keep things spaced out nicely.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5
my tank has been set up like this for around 2 years now with no problems. Over time though I have gotten kitty litter on top in some places. If I move plants it gets very cloudy but other than that its still doing great. I can actually still see pieces of kitty litter in some places.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Mine never dissolved either, after 2 years. It's like flourite, just grey/greenish color. Did you buy the NON-CLUMPING kind? Must have lucked out, hehe.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 12:50 AM
vlh

I have used it in all 4 of my tanks. No problem here and still not "mush".
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

I intentially bought non-clumping, non scented, etc., hoping to get laterite that could hold up. What I got looked like it, the the old fashioned litter I knew growing up also called (oil dry) and can retain some substance when wet, but I took a big tupperware bowl full added some water to rinse it, and it literally turned into mostly liquid mush. It changed imediatlely with very few pieces retaining some individual shape or form. I am now convinced that they get the laterite clay from different sources and some sources are more quality (harder/stronger) than others. I bet I could go test several basic brands and find one that holds up enough to suffice as a substrate, but I didn't want to go that far. So Rex is right in the fact that different areas have different products in the bag marked "Special Kitty".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:25 PM

Hi,

I have actually worked in the kitty litter industry and the performance of non-clumpable clays can vary greatly. The Special Kitty that people get on the West coast is most likely from a different source than what people get on the East coast. Kitty litter is cheap as dirt, but quite expensive to ship. The material in West coast Special Kitty most likely comes from around Bakersfield. The East coast comes from either Southern Georgia or Mississippi. It is very common for the West coast material to hold it's form better when wet then the east coast material (which is sometimes referred to as Mississippi mud).

Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode