Tahitian Moon Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tahitian Moon Sand

I am just wondering if anyone has had the same experience that I had this weekend.
I changed out my substrate from gravel to Eco-Complete covered by Tahitian Moon sand. All went well until I dumped in the final bag of sand. This sand was noticably darker than the sand from the other two bags and also had a whole lot of debris. I picked out whole and fragmented seashells and all kinds of rocks ranging from pebbles to one the length and diameter of my thumb.
I have not acid tested the rocks, but I am pretty sure would sizzle when I do.

Any ideas on what happened here? Does it sound like I got a bag that was marked wrong or does this stuff really come from the beach and I just got a bag that wasnt filtered?

It is not the end of the world, but I am a little disapointed to have these white specks all over my nice black sand. I am also curious to see what this is going to do to my water parameters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are going to be VERY disappointed when your expensive black sand ends up under your Eco-Complete. The larger particles will always end up on top.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

I dont know about this instance..but my LFS sells tahitian moon sand for less money than eco complete...

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
You are going to be VERY disappointed when your expensive black sand ends up under your Eco-Complete. The larger particles will always end up on top.
Actually I did some reading on this before I made the purchases and I already knew what would happen. The colors match nicely and I have read reports of problems with loaches barbells being irritated in 100% Eco-complete so I wanted to cut it with something soft that matched. I figure I can rotate the substrate by hand to keep some of the sand on top and be a little easier on their noses. Hopefully between that and the MTS I can prevent the sand from compacting too much and any gas pockets from forming. I am also hopeing that once the carpeting plants fill in what is on top will be a moot point anyway.
If that dosent work then I will figure something else out. Maybe spend an afternoon sifting the eco-complete out of the sand and add in some Onyx sand instead.

So that aside, does anyone have any idea why I have a bunch of white garbage mixed in with my black sand?

On a side note so far the main thing that I dont like about the sand is how it clumps up in the slime trails after the snails pass. I had read that this happened, but I didnt realize how apparent it would be against the rest of the sand. At least the clumps breakup fairly easily.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 09:50 PM

tahitian moon sand isn't 100% black sand...there are bits of stuff in it. You can see it clearly before you ever open the bag. You'd need to sift it through a screen to get pure black sand.

I also wanna say that eco complete is plenty soft for loaches and corydoras...no need to mix TMS in with it. and like Rex says, it will absolutly mix and you'll have TMS as a bottom later with eco on top
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
TMS will also irritate the loaches.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
As for barbels.. I have hard water.. not ideal for panda cory breeding, yet mine spawn every week. So they're already in less than breeding considions.. I have eco completle and have never seen a missing barbell in abotu 3-4 months of having them. So if they're breeding this regurally without any special diet other than a few bloodworms now and them and regural food, they must not being hurt by eco.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode