Alternative to laterite for iron in substrate plus other additives? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alternative to laterite for iron in substrate plus other additives?

I'm just wondering if there are cheap alternatives to laterite. I'm looking for things like potash and dolomite that you can add to your substrate for good root supplements. Also are there any other good cheap additives to also use for good plant growth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
An easy and costly method is to purchase red potting clay. A free method, is if you live in an area where the native dirt is red-clay based, you can simply dig it up, rinse a pile of dirt and separate out the clay chunks. I don't know how the dirt is in Canada, but here about 1,000 miles south of you, that is what I did. Went out to the back yard and just dug up a bunch of red clay.

I've even heard of people using rusty nails and screws under their substrate for an iron source. Some even claim that locally dug dirt will have enough iron in it naturally and that the only purpose of supplementing is if you use inert gravel.

Another option is to just use root tabs. API and Seachem make good root tabs formulated carefully. There are lots of options available.

Just make sure you don't use alot of iron supplementation if you have acidic water. That can cause excessive amounts to get into the water column and can kill everything in the tank.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
An easy and costly method is to purchase red potting clay. A free method, is if you live in an area where the native dirt is red-clay based, you can simply dig it up, rinse a pile of dirt and separate out the clay chunks. I don't know how the dirt is in Canada, but here about 1,000 miles south of you, that is what I did. Went out to the back yard and just dug up a bunch of red clay.

I've even heard of people using rusty nails and screws under their substrate for an iron source. Some even claim that locally dug dirt will have enough iron in it naturally and that the only purpose of supplementing is if you use inert gravel.

Another option is to just use root tabs. API and Seachem make good root tabs formulated carefully. There are lots of options available.

Just make sure you don't use alot of iron supplementation if you have acidic water. That can cause excessive amounts to get into the water column and can kill everything in the tank.
Why do you think that excessive iron in the water will kill everything?

CSM+B, a powdered trace element mix, and powdered iron chelate are available so cheaply I don't see any reason to concern ourselves with having good amounts of iron in the substrate. Plants take up nutrients through the leaves as well or better than they take them up through the roots.

Hoppy

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:42 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's something I read on a couple of occasions that high iron in acidic water is toxic. I do not speak from experience.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

"Too much" of anything, including water and oxygen, is toxic. The amount of iron we can reasonably get into tank water is not toxic.

Hoppy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
To make a long story short. A long time ago I was a volunteer at the Baltimore National Aquarium. I brought some red clay in and they analyzed it with a machine they called an atomic analyzer. No Iron was detected even though it was red in color.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Why do you think that excessive iron in the water will kill everything?

CSM+B, a powdered trace element mix, and powdered iron chelate are available so cheaply I don't see any reason to concern ourselves with having good amounts of iron in the substrate. Plants take up nutrients through the leaves as well or better than they take them up through the roots.
I think saying that all plants take up nutrients in their leaves as well as or better than through the roots is way off. Underestimating the role of roots is all too common it seems.

Even plants with smaller root structures can feed rather heavily from their roots. Root size is usually more relative to anchoring, in aquatic plants.

A nutrient rich soil(from ada, mts, or other root nutrients) helps to provide a stable gap free source of nutrients(i get that EI does this too). Some nutrients are more easily taken up by roots, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
"Too much" of anything, including water and oxygen, is toxic. The amount of iron we can reasonably get into tank water is not toxic.
This. In fact, you're much more likely to have a deficiency than a toxic level.

Has anyone ever had a documented case of copper poisoning in inverts due to fert dosing? Other than copper based meds I am not sure anyone has ever actually harmed inverts with copper, yet we see questions on it all the time.

These are about the same as the people who don't understand why they have algae with 200 watts of t5ho lighting on there 29g tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
To make a long story short. A long time ago I was a volunteer at the Baltimore National Aquarium. I brought some red clay in and they analyzed it with a machine they called an atomic analyzer. No Iron was detected even though it was red in color.
And this. Red does not mean high iron. Having worked with some high iron substrates in the development of RM, I've sampled a lot of commercially available natural red clays and have found most have essentially nothing but highly degraded nutrient devoid dirt in them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Steve001
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
And this. Red does not mean high iron. Having worked with some high iron substrates in the development of RM, I've sampled a lot of commercially available natural red clays and have found most have essentially nothing but highly degraded nutrient devoid dirt in them.
What about this ? I think if you reread this again you'll see that I said just what you said. Red clay does not indicate the clay contains Iron
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Steve001

What about this ? I think if you reread this again you'll see that I said just what you said. Red clay does not indicate the clay contains Iron
I believe he was backing you up and adding a bit more support.

So what would red potting clay contain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Steve001

I was backing you up.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I think saying that all plants take up nutrients in their leaves as well as or better than through the roots is way off. Underestimating the role of roots is all too common it seems.

Even plants with smaller root structures can feed rather heavily from their roots. Root size is usually more relative to anchoring, in aquatic plants.

A nutrient rich soil(from ada, mts, or other root nutrients) helps to provide a stable gap free source of nutrients(i get that EI does this too). Some nutrients are more easily taken up by roots, as well.
This isn't something we can only speculate about. There is data available for at least some plants. I don't have the data. I do know that even terrestrial plants can be fertilized very well by spraying the nutrients on the leaves, instead of soaking the soil with them. Some farm crops are fertilized that way.

I agree that the common belief that aquatic plants with extensive root systems are "heavy root feeders" is incorrect. Most aquatic plants with large root systems are plants that spend a lot of their life living out of water, and/or live in fast flowing water, where it takes a robust root system to hold them in place. Also, stem plants reproduce well by pieces breaking off and floating elsewhere to grow, but plants like swords and crypts can't do that, so they need to stay put to reproduce. Sometimes the obvious isn't true.

Hoppy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 01:27 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Which is why it is hard to find a substitute for laterite which does have iron in it. I originally got past this by emulsifying the red potters clay with Ironite. Since I found out what kind of slag Ironite is I switched to using the micro-mix dry fertilizers.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I was backing you up.
Ok. I wasn't sure.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode