ADA, RS Flora Base, Flourite, PFS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
ADA, RS Flora Base, Flourite, PFS?

I'm trying to decide what to use for my 160 gallon, and I don't want to buy substrate more than once, as I just can't afford it.

-I think Aquaforest will ship to me so I can get Aquasoil for $41 a bag shipped.
-I can get Red Sea Flora base for $30 a bag in Vancouver next week or $40 at my LFS.
-I have a lot of flourite and Shultz Aquatic Plant soil around I can use lying around. Probably three bags of each. Plus four and four in a running tank I can steal. I have enough flourite black to replace it.
-I have 100LBS of pool filter sand.

I have access to the new fluval substrate but it costs an arm and leg, and I find it hard to plant in as it's very light.

I have moderately hard water, about KH of 8 and GH of 9 or so from the tap. I want to try to lower that a bit, so I am considering ADA or Flora Base. I would like to add some flourite to that to add some weight and the PFS as a foreground. If I get the ADA I will use the flourite black to match and skip the PFS as I don't want to mix the ADA with too much stuff and ruin it if I ever tear the tank down. If I go with the Flora Base (much cheaper) I will mix it with the shultz and flourite and use the PFS.

Does anyone see issues with the Flora Base? It would be much cheaper to use it and I would prefer to go that way. I will mix it because I like the weight of the flourite and I'll save lots of money.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just use wormcastings and sand..50/50 mix...then cap with sand...
You can add osmocote plus, peat, clay or anything else with the worm/sand mix...I use this and it works well and im guessing our water is pretty similar if not the same..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm. I thought about worm casings, but to be honest, you're the first person I've had say they've had good results. A dirt tank could work, but I really want to buffer the ph to around 6.8 or so. The way the ada and flora base does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Anyone else have advice?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I used organic humus mixed with osmocote and really cheap cat litter in my 5 1/2 gallon

It made a huge difference real quick
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did it effect the ph at all?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justincgdick View Post
Did it effect the ph at all?
A little bit I'm 7.2 out of the tap and 6.6ish in the tank, this is also a no co2 setup.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I used redsea flora base in one of my tanks. 7.4 out of tap, 6.5 ph after a year. Still growing roots like there is no tomorrow. I love this substrate.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hmm. The flora base is a lot cheaper for me, and I can get some this weekend. I'm leaning towards a flora base/ flourite dark mix. Then I can use PFS for my foreground.

Does it break down considerably after a while?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode