Substrate is pretty dirty but I can't clean it due to plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Substrate is pretty dirty but I can't clean it due to plants

So I know that my substrate has a lot of crap in it: small bits of decaying plant matter, probably some fish poop, and maybe a tiny bit of uneaten food, but mostly just dead plants and algae and stuff. How do I clean this out? I can't really gravel vac because of plants being in most places in the tank. I'm thinking of introducing cory cats soon and I don't want them to get sick due to dirty substrate, which I read is a common cause of corys getting infections etc. I'm also worried about barbel erosion in my mix of gravel/fluorite but that's another issue entirely.

How do you guys manage to keep substrates relatively clean for corys, or do you just risk it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Fan of amano shrimp at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NIKON Pimp Club #003
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sure but I've never kept shrimp before and I"m currently dosing Excel =O although I may switch to DIY CO2 very soon (this is a 55G)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

you could always go over the top of the substrate lightly with the gravel vac to get all of the loose stuff up. you should not have problems with the plants if they are well rooted.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I might try it but I just planted some lilaeopsis a week ago and it's dying off pretty badly I think, so I'm not sure if I'd just uproot it all if I put the vac over it.

Also, do you think a population of RCS is sustainable in a tank with harlequin rasboras, cardinals, and corys? What about GBRs? By sustainable I'm really asking: 1) will the adults get eaten and 2) Will some fry survive and increase the population even though most will be eaten?

Lastly, is it possible at all to be dosing Excel and have RCS live?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
if you pick up a ball valve at home depot and stick it inline on your gravel back you can dial back the suction so its just strong enough to suck up light detritus without uprooting plants just avoid going over the newest planted ones that havent had time to root.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i either pull the vac end off the tube and just use that (increases suction and makes the hole smaller) or i use a turkey baster.

it's the only way i have found to work when you have delicate carpeting plants or very dense plants.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just wag my python tube above the surface. That stirs things up lifting detritus off the surface, then I suck it up. Some gets into the general water, so I continue draining and do a 50% water change, then change the filter mechanical media to keep flow up. After a day I change the mechanical again to get the junk out and keep flow at max. This part may not seem necessary, but my G6 has a flow meter and when imstir up the tank, flow does decreease, so I change the mechanical again and all is back to normal. Without the meter i would probably not be able to tell..ignorance is bliss.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
instead of a ball valve, just squeeze the hose a bit with your fingers to reduce the flow

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I have 9 puffers and a shrimp population which continues to grow. With enough shelter, anything is possible.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

------------------------------------------

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
instead of a ball valve, just squeeze the hose a bit with your fingers to reduce the flow
lol that'll work too, I just start to cramp up after a few minutes and cleaning the substrate in the 125 takes a while, especially at reduced flow.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yeah, i have a 10 gallon, so i didnt think of that :P!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks all for the replies!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode