Fluorite - Really?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Fluorite - Really??

I just don't get this tank. Not at all. It's the only tank I have with Fluorite and just doesn't produce the results of the other tanks. What is the secret with this substrate to get plants to grow well?

It is by far my least performing tank. Even my PFS tanks are doing better. High light, CO2 injection, EI dry fert dosing, 10hr photo period, weekly water changes. The plants grow like Aunt Jemima flows. And not slow growers either. Same plants in other tanks, I trim every week or so. Crypts barely propegate in here as well. I find it so odd considering it is supposed to be a "plant substrate".

Seriously contimplating getting rid of this for something else.

Trades anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
My fluorite works great....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
My fluorite is useless for growing plants without substrate ferts. Are you using any?

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

me, I use not a stitch of substrate ferts. Crypts and others growing like crazy. Amazon sword turned into a monster and is currently flowering. I am using Fluorite Black (not the sand).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i also have black flourite and my plants are growing like weeds... i does with EI and have nothing added to the substrate.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My flourite is at least 5 years old and grows crypts just fine. I've tried using substrate ferts at different times and never saw an improvement so, I just dose the water column.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@james0816 & tuffgong- Could you possibly be using the Fluorite sand?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/92%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancat2 View Post
me, I use not a stitch of substrate ferts. Crypts and others growing like crazy. Amazon sword turned into a monster and is currently flowering. I am using Fluorite Black (not the sand).
+1 on Flourite Black (not sand), I don't use substrate ferts, and I'm trimming pretty much weekly.

"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook." -William James

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I have fluorite in several tanks. Fluorite red, black, black sand, and onyx. All of them require substrate ferts for me to really see good growth.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which Fluorite do you have? Each has a varying nutrient composition. I've found that the Reds have higher amounts of iron and potassium than the dark kinds. And the darks have much higher levels of calcium and sodium. I've got black sand and I definitely noticed a change when I up'ed the potassium levels in my tank.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a combination of original and dark.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Given root tabs, different substrates don't seem to have much of an effect on plant growth. The only significant differences are aesthetic and ease of planting, as well as the CEC factor - its ability to absorb and store nutrients, which comes into play only when you begin under-fertilizing. Check this thread for something to think about regarding various substrates:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ommercial.html
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the original flourite and it's kind of lack lustre. I don't think I will ever buy it for another tank as it is extremely silty and the people at Amazonia told me not to rinse it so I didn't... ugh mistake. I added gravel to hold it down and it kicks up every time I add or move plants. I haven't started any ferts because I am undecided as to what kind to use. My grasses to really well in it and the rotala and crypts I added recently seem to be doing well but I had 3 vals die.

36 Bowfront LowTech
Angels, Rainbows and Kuhlis

Fluval Ebi Pimp #28
Cherries! Weeeee!

Assassin snails I think I love you
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yikes, somebody told you not to rinse Flourite? That's the first thing that gets brought up with using the stuff, you MUST rinse it extremely thoroughly.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
how long has this tank been setup... My 20G has been setup for about 10 months now and plants actually seem to be growing better now then when i first set it up, even though the fish, plants and lighting time/amount have been the same..even after moving the plants around. (I'm using flourite)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode