ADA questions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question ADA questions?

Hi everyone. There are so many categories and I'm not used to this so if this has already been asked I apologize. I'm going to be setting up a 20 long, so please bear with me and help me if you can answer these questions:

- Which type of ADA substrate should I use for a tank with things like a tiger lotus, amazon swords, and dwarf baby tears?

- So, ADA substrate releases ammonia. Does it always, or is it only when you first put it in? If so, how long exactly does it take for the ammonia to stop being released?

- (Hehe this one's for looks) I currently have azoo substrate in one of my tanks. It's nice, but it's just balls of fertilizer covered in a thin layer of soil looking stuff. Unfortunatly on that substrate sometimes the soil will rub off easily and leave white/light brown patches in my substrate. Does ADA substrate ever pale? (Hope that made sense)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
The ADA Amazonia I or II is what most people get for their planted tanks unless they're specifically going for a different look. I'm also pretty sure the plants you listed above would go pretty well with the Amazonia. As far as "paling" goes, I know the Aqua soil will eventually go muddy on you but I've never witnessed it losing its color. The initial ammonia leech in the beginning can be a bit of a PITA. Some people say they don't get it too bad and others say it tooks weeks upon weeks to get rid of it. Best advice is large RO water changes until the ammonia is gone. As long as you can hold off on putting any fish or inverts in for awhile it won't be much of a problem.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmm, amazonia 2 sounds like it fits the bill. Thanks! I think I'll invest in that. I can hold off with the fish/inverts, there's no rush.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Personally I think ADA soil is over prices for what you eventually get MUD. I would go with soil, because of the price and benefits.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode