Eco-complete change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete change

I have a heavily planted(middle and left side) 55 gallon. The right side contains medium size grave(no plants). I want to replace the gravel with Eco-complete and then plant a carpet of Riccia. Would it be best to completely remove all the gravel or can I leave it for a base and put the eco-complete over it. Have never used Eco-complete before. Have already ordered the Riccia.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
It depends, what color the substrate is. If it's the same color as eco-complete(black) then you could go ahead and pour it in. If it's like a different color, i'd remove the regular substrate and then pour in eco.

Planted tanks doesn't look too well when different color of substrates are mixed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:56 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You want the Eco on the bottom for the plants...on top defeats the purpose and will end up mixing over time anyways.

It would be well worth the time to do a complete switch or you will regret it in the future.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
You want the Eco on the bottom for the plants...on top defeats the purpose and will end up mixing over time anyways.

It would be well worth the time to do a complete switch or you will regret it in the future.
Will Riccia work planting it over the gravel? I will be weighting it down with weights.

Scott
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:31 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sorry but I missed the riccia part the first time around...I just saw layering eco and started typing I think.

Riccia does not need any substrate at all. It does not root. I have it strapped to a stone with thread now. Just lay it down, weigh it down and keep the nutrients good in the water and the CO2 good and it will grow like a weed.
I will never layer my substrates again because NOTHING in a planted tank is permanant. LOL
Down the road you will want to change the tank around and it will become a mess, trust me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Cool, I want even mess with the Eco-complete then. Will just weigh down the Riccia over the gravel.

Thanks

Scott
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Algae Grower

There are a couple of ways you can get your riccia weighed down, the most common being by placing a thin layer over a small, flat stone and then wrapping lots of fishing wire around to keep it in place.

It can be a bit of a PITA when it grows dense as the bottom portion of the plant will tend to rot.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM

check this article out: http://tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=7914

How to make riccia flutens 'mounds'

You'll need some plastic canvas (from a craft store), a stapler, and some rocks to weigh it down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
It is a nice idea, but you have to pull the whole thing apart when the Riccia grows out of the sandwich.

I still think the weights are easier, but I may give the "sandwich" approach a shot.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode