PFS Question. - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,261
PFS Question.

Generally speaking, would it be possible to have a few plants in a purely PFS substrate as long as ferts were being dosed/there were nutrient tabs, or would it be a better idea to just recycle the PFS, put something like Flourite under it and cap it off again with the PFS?
freph is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,729
PFS with root tabs will work just fine. In fact, it seems that having a "good" substrate isn't much more effective than having a "cheap" substrate. Check the growth pics in this:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ommercial.html
kevmo911 is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
PFS with root tabs will work just fine. In fact, it seems that having a "good" substrate isn't much more effective than having a "cheap" substrate. Check the growth pics in this:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ommercial.html
Wow....who would've thought. However, would it cost more in the long run to run the root tabs as compared to having a nutrient layer underneath the sand?
freph is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,729
No. Spend $25 on a big jug (1.5lbs I think?) of osmocote plus fertilizer balls (less if you can find it locally, which is probably a good bet this time of year). It's the one with the orange cap. Then spend $5-10 on a bag of a few hundred gel caps (Amazon). And you can make enough root tabs to last you the rest of your life. Okay, you might have to buy some more capsules, but you get the point.
kevmo911 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
No. Spend $25 on a big jug (1.5lbs I think?) of osmocote plus fertilizer balls (less if you can find it locally, which is probably a good bet this time of year). It's the one with the orange cap. Then spend $5-10 on a bag of a few hundred gel caps (Amazon). And you can make enough root tabs to last you the rest of your life. Okay, you might have to buy some more capsules, but you get the point.
Interesting. Thanks for the info and quick response time. I'm down here in Fayetteville myself, so I've got all of 3 pet stores that're within 20 minutes of me...haha.
freph is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Discus freak
 
oscarsx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/94%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 928
Yea that's what I'm using. I actually just set my PFS w/ osmocote plus gel caps.

Let's wait and seeeeeee.


oscarsx is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsx View Post
Yea that's what I'm using. I actually just set my PFS w/ osmocote plus gel caps.

Let's wait and seeeeeee.
Interested in the results. Got a link for the tank or anything I can follow it with? Thanks.
freph is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome