Dry Ferts 60 Gal help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dry Ferts 60 Gal help

Hello,

I am looking to setup my 60 Gal and I want to use it as my plant growing tank so I want to do it right laying down ferts in the substraite layers. Can you please give your advise on what you do and what has worked well for you? thank you... oh I will be using a Corallife 48" CFL with 4 65watt 10k bulbs... so lighting will be more then sufficiant... I will most likely only have shrimp in the tank to make sure the plants are alright... getting ready to start growing for my ADA adventure in the next 6-9 months... want to have the plants ready though! anyways thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
There's a slow release fertilizer called Osmocoate plus. You can put down an inch or so of substrate down and very lightly (5 grams per sq. ft.) sprinkle the fertilizer evenly. Cover with a couple of inches of substrate and you're good to go.

You can put the grains of Osmocoate plus in gel caps or freeze them in small ice cubes and insert them around and under plants several months later to supplement.

You should be able to search for Osmocoate and find a bunch of info.

There's a member named OverStocked here that sells a similar fertilizer he's developed in gel caps. You can find him in Sponsors And Power Seller Specials section of the forum.

What did the catfish say when he ran into a concrete wall?... "Dam!"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerzfan View Post
There's a slow release fertilizer called Osmocoate plus. You can put down an inch or so of substrate down and very lightly (5 grams per sq. ft.) sprinkle the fertilizer evenly. Cover with a couple of inches of substrate and you're good to go.

You can put the grains of Osmocoate plus in gel caps or freeze them in small ice cubes and insert them around and under plants several months later to supplement.

You should be able to search for Osmocoate and find a bunch of info.

There's a member named OverStocked here that sells a similar fertilizer he's developed in gel caps. You can find him in Sponsors And Power Seller Specials section of the forum.

Awesome thank you very much I will do some more research... seems like it would be good... just need to remember to keep soil movers out of the tank... haha

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryfox86 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to setup my 60 Gal .... oh I will be using a Corallife 48" CFL with 4 65watt 10k bulbs... so lighting will be more then sufficiant...
You will probably have low light, depending on how high the tank is. If it is 20 inches high, you will probably barely have enough light to grow plants. Those Coralife lights have very poor reflectors.

Hoppy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow thanks hoppy... thats a pretty big let down... I thought that running that much lighting would be more then sufficiant... guess I will have to get all techy and build a monster light.

So running 4 21" 65 watt 10000 coral life bulbs on basically a 55 gal is low light... well I will show these plants who they are messing with... going to be busy this weekend with a DIY project... stay tuned.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode