HC-appropriate inert substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
HC-appropriate inert substrate?

My first attempt with HC failed, most likely because the standard pet store gravel substrate was too large for it. Lighting could have been a factor too but that's since been addressed, so I'm going to replace the gravel in the area where the HC will go just to be sure.

I've checked the local fish shops, but their offerings are nearly identical to what I have. There's no size indication on the packaging either, so I'm not sure what to order. I'm looking for inert light brown/white gravel small enough for HC.

Any recommendations?

Snail Glades,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have inert black sand and my HC seems to love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm leaving the white and light brown gravel in the rest of the tank, so black sand might not look very good. I'm not sure about the sand-gravel interface either.

Snail Glades,

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
you could make something to seperate the gravel from the sand, and use pool filter sand. it has a lighter color to it.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Plant Clown

Pool filter sand. By the way, pressurized CO2 will go a long way toward making HC work.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Pool filter sand. By the way, pressurized CO2 will go a long way toward making HC work.
Not far enough. The mystery snails and amanos didn't help things either.

Snail Glades,
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

you really need high co2 levels for HC. I have amano and snails and they don't uproot the HC at all.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverock1337 View Post
you could make something to seperate the gravel from the sand, and use pool filter sand. it has a lighter color to it.
It's a fairly irregular area defined by driftwood and rocks so sand sounds like quite an undertaking. I'll consider it but am hoping to find something a little less intensive. I was hoping to find something like fine gravel, maybe the size of large couscous.

Snail Glades,
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
you really need high co2 levels for HC. I have amano and snails and they don't uproot the HC at all.
I was running it at around 30ppm although it took forever to get there. I assumed it was the snails and shrimp uprooting a plug overnight but it never really rooted anywhere although my moss and swassertang manage it. I went away for several days and every single plug uprooted and melted in the filter.

Snail Glades,
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 AM
anh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
From my experience, HC needs good light and good circulation, if you have none than the growth will be very slow.

Also c02 helps a ton especially on larger tanks.

i try growing mine on gravel and flourite but it seen impossible to carpet, so i switch to sand and never look back.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Would 1-2mm size gravel be small enough for HC? I'm looking at Caribsea's Peace River product.

Snail Glades,
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:34 AM
anh
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Would 1-2mm size gravel be small enough for HC? I'm looking at Caribsea's Peace River product.
should be fine.. remember the smaller the sand grain the more space there is for the HC to root and the stem doesnt get stringey.

plus sand is so much easier to plant on than flourite, not that you cant grow a carpet on flourite its just hard as hell to plant.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoe14er View Post
You don't need co2 for HC, it's an easy plant to grow IMO. Here is a no CO2 tank I did- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ock-scape.html

I find HC does best in sandy substrates. It doesn't seem to root as well in gravel and is much easier to pull up. It grows fine is harder to trim.

-Matt

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What kind of sand did you use I'm thinking about using silica sand and is 36 watts of light for 29 gallon tank sound good enough?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
You don't need co2 for HC, it's an easy plant to grow IMO. Here is a no CO2 tank I did- https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ock-scape.html

I find HC does best in sandy substrates. It doesn't seem to root as well in gravel and is much easier to pull up. It grows fine is harder to trim.
any tricks on how you did that? did you use a DSM?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode