How many MTS in a 29g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many MTS in a 29g?

I am doing a massive conversion to my 29g tank tomorrow: changing the substrate and converting to planted. I am going to be using pool filter sand as my substrate, and I have been thinking about putting in some MTS to keep the sand from developing anaerobic pockets. How many snails are need for this size tank (30" W x 12"D)? I'll be putting in about 2" of sand.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
You can put in 2 and soon have 100s. So how many is really kind of relative. Make sure to have something to keep the population in check.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From what I understand, the population grows in proportion to the amount of waste (or algae) there is for them to consume, is that correct?

So, should I start with two? I'm more concerned with the anaerobic pockets than waste consumption. I keep a pretty tidy tank, although I have been fighting some algae lately. Hope those plants steal the algae's nutrients.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
NONE. Get another type of snail. They will almost definitely take over your tank and... Ugh... It's just repulsive to look at. Don't do it. Get another type of snail, either that won't reproduce in freshwater (like nerites) or snails that don't reproduce nearly as quickly. But Nerites are almost identical in size to MTS, and they don't breed in freshwater. They will lay eggs, but they won't hatch. They need brackish/salt water. But I wouldget 3-5 nerites. NOT MTS. Just don't do it. You'll be glad you didn't. Please. Don't do it!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi BobR
You could start with one and still need to control them in time.Assasin snails (Clea Helena) are good at this job.but you will be forever removing the empty shells of the MTS after the Assisins are finished with them

Robert

Last edited by robbowal; 04-29-2011 at 01:47 AM. Reason: addition
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahh...this is why I like this forum. See I would have gone and done it, but I thought I'd just ask, and lo and behold, maybe it's not the right solution. Or, if you're Geniusdudekiran, it's DEFINITELY not the right solution . When someone I don't know warns me THAT hard, I'm gonna listen. Thanks, pal.

OK, so how do I go about getting the nerites? Are they as widely available as the MTS?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR View Post
Ahh...this is why I like this forum. See I would have gone and done it, but I thought I'd just ask, and lo and behold, maybe it's not the right solution. Or, if you're Geniusdudekiran, it's DEFINITELY not the right solution . When someone I don't know warns me THAT hard, I'm gonna listen. Thanks, pal.

OK, so how do I go about getting the nerites? Are they as widely available as the MTS?
Winning!

They're pretty easy to find. You can get them at most LFSs. If you can't find them there, they are readily available online. Ebay has a lot, and I'm sure aquabid has even more. Check S&S too. I have only one in my Fluval Ebi, and it does a great job. Glad I could help. Good luck!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nerites are nice but be prepared for their eggs on driftwood and glass (they wont hatch) which are hard to remove.
if you can put up with that then they are a good addition to a clean up crew.
BTW nerites are much larger than MTS (around 2.5 Cm in lenght for nerites) mind you never let a MTS grow full size.

Robert

Last edited by robbowal; 04-29-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
the nerites won't burrow in your sand to help you not have anaerobic pockets. i have a 29 gallon tank, and switched over my substrate to mineralized topsoil covered with pool filter sand. i added 3 mts, this was two months ago. i never see them. they may have reproduced and may be a lot more, but i wouldn't know.

a simple way to control mts is to put some blanched vegetable matter (spinach, cucumber) weighted down on the substrate at night, and then pull it out covered in snails in the morning.

the nerites are awesome for controlling algae. i used to have some, but my water is too soft for their shells, and they all eventually perished.

if you do change to pool filter sand, i highly recommend checking out using mineralized topsoil underneath it to provide nutrients for your plants. you won;t be sorry.

more info on the mineralized topsoil here

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do nerites burrow under the sand like MTS?

Hard to remove eggs? Seems like every snail has its drawbacks...

Maybe I'll just poke the sand with a stick to prevent pockets from forming and call it a day! I just thought snails would be a cool alternative...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Whoa, sorry, daverock, you posted before I could fire off my reply.

Thanks for the advice!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it all depends on what you are willing to put up with.
the Nerites are fun to watch rasping at the glass as the go about their business and TBH they dont lay that many eggs.
they can move about surprisingly fast for a snail and have many colour variations (zebra, olive and candy)
As i said before a good addition to a clean up crew (the Heiniken of snail if you will "reaches the parts others can't")
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i did not have the time/space for making the topsoil, but i found a "kit" in the sns here that was very affordable. i spent 45 shipped, plus 7 bucks on the pool filter sand. so i have an awesome looking (imo) nutrient rich substrate in my tank with no need to worry about dosing ferts for 52 bucks. better deal than anything i could think of. i am not home enough on a consistent schedule to be able to dose ferts daily.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbowal View Post
the Nerites are fun to watch rasping at the glass as the go about their business and TBH they dont lay that many eggs.
my nerites never laid any eggs, its really hit or miss with that. some will, some won't. i had 5 of them for 6-9 months, no eggs. ever.

if you want nerites definitely check aquabid or put a want to buy thread in the swap n shop

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
IME nerites don't last very long in planted tanks. I hear the co2 erodes their shells and the snail will die. I have MTS in my tanks, on purpose. I love them! You barely see them in the day and they come out at night for the dirty work. I know people IRL that complain about mulm buildup in their tanks... Thanks to my MTS I never had to worry about that. They are incredible workers. Not so much on algae, but they love the mulm. Plus you have the benefit of turning the substrate. I started with 50 MTS in my 29G and it wasn't overwhelming at all considering they go right into the gravel. Dont overfeed, and you will hardly ever see them. GO FOR IT!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode