Aquasoil 2 Still Making Tea Colored Water - Help!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (80/100%)
Aquasoil 2 Still Making Tea Colored Water - Help!!!!

OK, I'd love to have some idea of what to do here.....

I started up a new tank on 1/14 with AS Amazonia 2. Ive done frequent water changes, but still my water is looking like tea. My tap pH is about 7.8, I have no wood or rocks in the tank, and have low/medium light. To give you an idea of what is happening, I did a 50% water change yesterday. By today, the water looks like a light tea color, and you can actually see the clouds in the water tumbling around in the tank. I would have loved to think it's a bacteria bloom, but Im running a 9W UV sterilizer with a new bulb with absolutely no effect. I am a very little amount of additional ferts, and am using 2x Excel for CO2. After the acclimation period and some die off, the plants have been growing great. FYI I have used carbon for weeks, and even tried adding an HOB w/ Purigen for a while.

Can you give me any idea what I can do to clear this up? I have no idea what else I can do, but quite frankly the tank looks terrible. I know that patience is key with AS, but this is getting ridiculous. Anybody have any suggestions what to do?

Thanks!

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Add a lot of fresh carbon to your filter. It'll do a nifty job on the tannins.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, of course I could do that, although it's not my first choice given it's a canister.

The real question is how long is this mess likely to continue? I know that some folks see the problem and some folks don't. Any idea what causes it and how to accelerate it's disappearance (in addition to the carbon that is)?

Any guesses how long before it goes away?

Thanks!

Tom

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Did you do anything initially go create the cloudiness. Stir it up, wash it, etc. I have never had any clouding issues especially with AS 2.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not that I know of. But, who knows, maybe I did something I shouldn't have anyway. I do like the growth, but the tea is unbearable. I may opt to rip the whole thing down and do it over. Too much money, to much hassle, but at least I wouldn't have to deal with the tea. Nice to know that at least for most folks it works out OK.

I'm not giving up on AS, but may have to do a reset to make mine work. Ugghhh.....

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Is that the "new" AS II? I hope so. I had a bag of the old stuff and it was a total disaster. Tea water and the granules disintegtrated to silt. Easily my most frustrating experience with a susbstrate. On the positive side, it made a nice, expensive, mulch for houseplants in the end.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bought it in November or so if I recall and finally used it in mid-January. Any guess if that's new or the old version?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Must have been some bad batches. I've been using AS 2 that I purchased in 2009 without these issues. Don't get me wrong it does break down if you look at it funny or with time. I used the stock I bought in '09 in at least 3 other setups without issue. I still have a tank running from June 09 with the same AS 2 in it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom855 View Post
Well, of course I could do that, although it's not my first choice given it's a canister.

The real question is how long is this mess likely to continue? I know that some folks see the problem and some folks don't. Any idea what causes it and how to accelerate it's disappearance (in addition to the carbon that is)?

Any guesses how long before it goes away?

Thanks!

Tom

Activated carbon can be used in a canister filter. I always use it in canister filters during the initial set up phase to improve water clarity because that's what carbon filtration media is designed to do. You also wash out your mechanical media as well.

What brand/model of filter are you using?

Others have mentioned that amazonia 2 leached tannins for a long period of time and it definitely isn't normal if this has been going on since january. You can contact the adg shop for advice. I'm told that they provide excellent customer service.

I personally have had fantastic results with amazonia 2, so I definitely would recommend that you continue to work with it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tom man I had tea colored water for monthsssssssss man. I even broke my tank down partially because of it. I had a 2215 filled to the brim with about 5 bags of 100 ml of purigen, carbon in both 2217 and fine filter floss in all 3 filters and nothing!!! I didn't put my hands in the tanks for 3 months and still. Water changes, water changes, water changes and filtration. Now my tank is ok. I put all 4 bags of as 2, 1 cup at a time into a strainer and very low flow of water and it still only helped about 50%. I hope this new improved soil does the trick because I'm about to sell it all and buy something g else like azoo or the stratum series.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fyi the filter is an Eheim 2026, and yes, more charcoal is an option. Almost is a better alternative than changing the water in a 58G over and over. I don't know....... part of me says start over and part of me says just keep doing water changes. It's got to get better someday........ I THINK!
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
ASII is strange. I've made a tank clear in 1 week for a batch another tank it took 2 months for the cloud to subside....purigen helps tho...

The one that cleared faster was using an under gravel filter so things got sucked downwards. What I found very useful was after adding water to AS. I let the sucker sit. No filter no water movement....just letting the particles settle....and letting the AS get fully saturated with water so the soil is heavier and less likely to move after the filter is turned on...then I turn the filter on after 2-3 days....
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reference to "Lost" shrimpnmoss? Great show!

Good idea with the undergravel filter! I wish I had one in mine! It absolutely would have sucked out all that excess silt. When ever it comes back just kick the filter back on! Too late for me now.

Next time I will try letting it sit for a few days. With a good amount of flow in the tank, I would imagine, if co2 and ferts are constantly bouncing around in the tank like they are supposed to why wouldn't that brown cloud/silt do the same thing constantly floating around making the water tea colored and whatnot? If you give it a chance to sit and bury itself under the larger pellets/substrate then bingo, problem solved!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

Two 2217s and 2215.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (81/100%)
Really odd for AS huh! Get some PURIGEN in your filter. Just make sure you rinse them first. Should take care of the tea color in a matter of hours depending on your water flow.

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378
-

Aim High
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not all the time 4F1hmi. I had 500 ml in mine among other things and it made a dent in it but it was still very noticeable. Purigen will help but only so much and only for so long.

New Journal:

Old Journal:

Two 2217s and 2215.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode