Playsand: How deep w/ plants/fish in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Playsand: How deep w/ plants/fish in tank?

I'm going the cheap way here. Using Quickrite play sand. How deep should I go? I have rooting plants and Seachem root tabs. Sand is being washed today. Will put 1/2 today, 1/2 tomorrow due to fish in tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Some people say not to go more than 3" of depth with fine sand.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Coming from someone who has had dealings with playsand, take your fish out of the tank. No matter how much you wash the sand it will still be quite cloudy for a few days I'm not sure how fish friendly the particles are.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
Coming from someone who has had dealings with playsand, take your fish out of the tank. No matter how much you wash the sand it will still be quite cloudy for a few days I'm not sure how fish friendly the particles are.
I'm noticing this during washing. I started w/ a full bucket of sand and am down to 1/2 a bucket.
I used the hose to get it really stirred up. I have to admit that aquarium sand is easier to clean. Oh well. I like the dark look of the play sand anyway.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Rinsing it will do wonders, it will be hazy for 2 days.

I personally like silica sand instead of playsand, its more white.

But with a 50 pound bag, I filled my 55g up 2 inches (with the loss of sand).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
I'm noticing this during washing. I started w/ a full bucket of sand and am down to 1/2 a bucket.
I used the hose to get it really stirred up. I have to admit that aquarium sand is easier to clean. Oh well. I like the dark look of the play sand anyway.
Yeah I washed mine like Crazy stirring and everything and still had a cloudy tank for a few days.
I can say it was worth it though I'm not that big a fan of an all rock substrate.
BTW, the darker colored white sand will for some reason bring out the color in your cory's. It did mine anyways I brought mine home and they were a lot brighter then they were in the LFS tank.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
OP, if you don't mind, i would like it if people could chime in to each you and I of how best to root plants in sand.

I have recently begun planting my 20G tall, which now has 3.5" sand in the back for planting, and the corkscrew vals and broad leaf sag keep popping out after a day or so. i am hoping a different spray bar MAY be the key but am not sure if it's the filter or my cories doing it...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
OP, if you don't mind, i would like it if people could chime in to each you and I of how best to root plants in sand.

I have recently begun planting my 20G tall, which now has 3.5" sand in the back for planting, and the corkscrew vals and broad leaf sag keep popping out after a day or so. i am hoping a different spray bar MAY be the key but am not sure if it's the filter or my cories doing it...
Really there isn't a special way to plant plants you just stick them into the sand and your good to go. With cory's however its a different story.
With stems and cory's you will have to keep replanting them until they grow roots. Or just let them float they will grow roots eventually.
With swords, Crypts, and Vals you can put rocks around them to keep the cory's from getting too close.
My problem is when I'm doing the whole Co2 + EI my plants that I plant will put a massive amount of air bubbles underneath them where the stem was cut. So either they will shoot up to the sky or they will wait until a cory hits it like a mine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have sand with cities and my plants don't come up as east. But with rooted plants it takes a bit. Once the sand sits in the aquarium and gets compacted the sand will hold down the stems easier. You can also hurry the stems further then when you get it deep push the sand near the stem down to help back it down.

For 4 days my stem plants will come up here and there. After its OK.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My crypts and vals stay rooted. I use tweezers to stick them deep in the sand. I also use my fingers to push a little sand over the roots.
I did get the sand clean. Today as I was leaving for work, yes work, I peaked in the bucket and it was nice and clear. I let it sit overnight in water. Now I'm dying to get to my tank!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a single "broad leaf sag" that is repeatedly popping up, and I might just toss him as I don't even particularly care for it nor find that it adds much that the twisted vals won't when they grow in. Just for giggles, I did replant it today and I placed a rock right next to it on the side the filter flow hits it, to see if that helps.

Positive note - I have some runners on my twisted vals that I found today as I was shoring up their roots similarly, and the crypt wendtii looks like it’s doing well! Nothing yet from my pygmy chain swords.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7a View Post
I have a single "broad leaf sag" that is repeatedly popping up, and I might just toss him as I don't even particularly care for it nor find that it adds much that the twisted vals won't when they grow in. Just for giggles, I did replant it today and I placed a rock right next to it on the side the filter flow hits it, to see if that helps.

Positive note - I have some runners on my twisted vals that I found today as I was shoring up their roots similarly, and the crypt wendtii looks like itís doing well! Nothing yet from my pygmy chain swords.
That's good, roots are a good sign.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode