Bubble, bubble organic soil and trouble. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Bubble, bubble organic soil and trouble.

All,

I set up an MG Organic Choice with sand cap tank exactly three weeks ago.

The substrate is 1.5-2" of soil capped with ~1" of sand. I don't know although I suspect that that thickness of soil is leading to my issues. Stating last week I've been manually releasing the built up gasses, and I'm noticing what I believe to be a feint egg smell. I've seen accounts of people getting that smell after months and thinking it was too soon, so my three weeks make me think I've done this all wrong.

Is there any chance of this working out or do I need to go ahead and move the live stock to a temp setup and break down the tank?

I thought all I had to do was keep the substrate under 3", but now I'm wondering if my sand to soil ratio is whats caused my issues.

Thoughts? Experience? Suggestions?

As always, I'll continue looking and reading in the meantime, but I'd love to start an active discussion as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
is it heavily planted with root feeders? keep poking around and it will be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

I've read that soil over 1 inch is not recommended because its prone to accumulating anaerobic spots. You can have as much sand as you want but when I set mine up a few days ago I was advised to only use a 3/4"-1" layer of soil. Could be different tho with sizes of tanks as mine is a nano.
If your parameters are fine just keep poking around and let your plants fill in to help with the anaerobic spots.

Sent from my Droid

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
+1 on poking. Use a two prong meat fork, chop stick anything to break the tension and release the gas. Timeline looks right to me.
2" is pretty thick but saying that I use 1 1/2" so its not a huge stretch. Don't panic on faint odors in the gas and watch for mounding of the substrate. Hills where you didn't make them when you did the scape. If you see mounding just poke it releasing the gas so it doesn't erupt carrying dirt up.

sounds like normal NPT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, most of what I have is root feeders. Vals, Amazon sword, pygmy chain sword, crypts, l aromatica, and others here and there.

My only real concern is the fish.

Link to tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...rt-tank-2.html

I'm feeling better hearing from you guys, like I said above, I just don't want to kill all of my fish. I've not ran into and mounds yet, but I'm getting far more gas than I expected. I'll just take it easy and keep doing water changes and poking.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPeppersLHC View Post
I've read that soil over 1 inch is not recommended because its prone to accumulating anaerobic spots. You can have as much sand as you want but when I set mine up a few days ago I was advised to only use a 3/4"-1" layer of soil. Could be different tho with sizes of tanks as mine is a nano.
If your parameters are fine just keep poking around and let your plants fill in to help with the anaerobic spots.

Sent from my Droid
Prefer keeping dry soil to 1 1/2" when building my base with lots of organic content. Once flooded that thickness will collapse almost 50% within a year as the material breaks down to mineral alone after bacteria chew up the organics.
Making the cap too thick blocks the gas exchange. Cap should be 3/4 to 1 1/2" using sand (imo)

yes a nano has a small water column so thats a factor

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I'm redoing my soil tank, and I'm just letting the soil sit for a week or two poking around every morning. With soil tanks, you gotta get is right the first time, or else you got a whole bunch of poking to do my friend

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
LOL fantastic title
sorry for not helping but i had to reply after reading the thread title
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So far all seems well, it's still bubbling but I just keep getting in there and releasing as much as I can. It still has a faint odor, all livestock appears healthy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I would buy some of those wood skewers you can get anywhere in the bbq section and poke with it.. unless you have a ready supply of chopsticks but I personally like the skewers as they are thinner for poking into the soil. G/L!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode